Hurricane heater

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Terry Dixon said:

Calcutta here now just wondering what sort of bill I am going to get...... ??

Yeah lol. The Hurricane was a great bit of kit but mine was beyond economical repair so I replaced with a webasto at a tiny fraction of the price. Hurricane are great though when running correctly.

• 3 months later...
On 20/10/2019 at 16:22, mrsmelly said:

Yeah lol. The Hurricane was a great bit of kit but mine was beyond economical repair so I replaced with a webasto at a tiny fraction of the price. Hurricane are great though when running correctly.

Picking up on this thread, hope that's ok. May I ask how many hours were recorded before it got to this  stage of uneconomical repair? I thought all parts were replaceable?

4 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

Picking up on this thread, hope that's ok. May I ask how many hours were recorded before it got to this  stage of uneconomical repair? I thought all parts were replaceable?

No problem. IIRC it was in excess of 11000 hours, probably more. I disconnected the hour meter when I replaced with webasto and I have it somewhere ? I was informed that whilst it could be repaired they could not be sure some other bits would fail or indeed be dodgy anyway. They are very good although a tad noisey. I would have one again. It was the sole form of heating when I bought this boat so needed to be up to the job but I put a squirrell in, I wouldnt have anything else and so I only needed secondary back up heating and the webasto is cheap and ideal for the job. Calcutt were helpful :cheers:

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

No problem. IIRC it was in excess of 11000 hours, probably more. I disconnected the hour meter when I replaced with webasto and I have it somewhere ? I was informed that whilst it could be repaired they could not be sure some other bits would fail or indeed be dodgy anyway. They are very good although a tad noisey. I would have one again. It was the sole form of heating when I bought this boat so needed to be up to the job but I put a squirrell in, I wouldnt have anything else and so I only needed secondary back up heating and the webasto is cheap and ideal for the job. Calcutt were helpful :cheers:

Unless the water jacket corrodes away, I would've thought that all parts are replaceable. Ono ask as may buy another book s that has one in. If Theyi was installing new, I'd probably go the new Eber HS3 or Bubble PJ. On shoreline so power  not an issue. Cheers

6 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

Unless the water jacket corrodes away, I would've thought that all parts are replaceable. Ono ask as may buy another book s that has one in. If Theyi was installing new, I'd probably go the new Eber HS3 or Bubble PJ. On shoreline so power  not an issue. Cheers

My water jacket was corroded. The whole thing was knackered. I fitted a complete webasto for 500 squids that's proving very reliable. The reason my boat had hurricane fitted was the owner got diesel for peanuts so ran it for hot water and all heating. In fairness there is only one way to properly heat a boat and that's solid fuel, hence I fitted a stove soon after purchase ?

On 08/02/2020 at 22:09, mrsmelly said:

My water jacket was corroded. The whole thing was knackered. I fitted a complete webasto for 500 squids that's proving very reliable. The reason my boat had hurricane fitted was the owner got diesel for peanuts so ran it for hot water and all heating. In fairness there is only one way to properly heat a boat and that's solid fuel, hence I fitted a stove soon after purchase ?

I guess once the water jacket has gone, it becomes unviable to keep going. Anyway, thanks for reminding me of the facts!