Tattenhall Marina (Cheshire)

andybarrett1

Featured Posts

• 3 weeks later...

There have been 2 or 3 changes of management team over the past year or so. Lets see how the current team perform before making anyjudgement.

The boat maintenance team under the Lakeland Leisure management were in my experience a complete shambles. This is now run by a seperate business. They are doing some major work for me at the moment, so will hold back my comments until I can judge, but first impressions are good.

Nice location, nice boaters. Getting expensive like most marinas with good facilities - bar, food, events, laundry, showers all good.

• Happy 1

Enjoyed our year there several years ago, only issue was it is exposed and in a strong wind you moored where you could, and then moved when it was calmer, or left the keys and the marina staff would do it when they could. I guess the 6 foot trees are a bit bigger now so maybe not as bad.

• 1 month later...
On 25/08/2019 at 16:01, Thorfast said:

There have been 2 or 3 changes of management team over the past year or so. Lets see how the current team perform before making anyjudgement.

The boat maintenance team under the Lakeland Leisure management were in my experience a complete shambles. This is now run by a seperate business. They are doing some major work for me at the moment, so will hold back my comments until I can judge, but first impressions are good.

Nice location, nice boaters. Getting expensive like most marinas with good facilities - bar, food, events, laundry, showers all good.

Your experience with the old maintenance team at Tattenhall is certainly at odds with mine, and pretty much everyone else I've ever spoken too. In the almost four years that I was moored there I always found them extremely approachable, helpful and professional in every interaction I had with them. Even when I was blacking my own boats (I have two) they were quite willing to provide assistance and advice. I tend to do as much of my own work, including electrical, wherever I can so it was very helpful to have expert people I knew I could talk to along with a well stocked and readily accessible chandlery. Their departure was a serious loss for the marina and a source of a lot of the ill will that now exists there. The few interactions I had with the new workshop team showed them to be quite the opposite. Expensive and off-handed and not necessarily particularly knowledgable. The chandlery is rarely open and when it is, it's staffed by people with very little knowledge of boats or the products they sell.

As for the marina itself, physically it was a lovely place to moor a boat and to spend time. Room for dogs to run and easy access to the towpath. The cafe was a happy and welcoming place and there was a great community spirit. Sadly that was all in the past. While it's still a great location it has been seriously let down by its management who have shown a chronic disregard for their clients. Lack of maintenance which lead to unsafe jetties, especially in winter, with inevitable falls a constant cause for complaint. The cafe now caters more to the passing cyclists and walkers than it does to marina moorers. Dogs seemingly actively discouraged. It's unsurprising, therefore that the marina is now significantly unpopulated with many more boaters vowing to leave and not come back. In my opinion, best avoided for anything other than an overnight stop on your way to or from Chester. 

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

• 8 months later...

So, Tattenhall Marina is now selling and mooring widebeams apparently.

I have questions: 

A. Who buys a widebeam if they're not planning on living on it? I believe Tattenhall is still a leisure only marina?

B. How far can you cruise in a widebeam from Tattenhall Marina? 

C. How do you get your widebeam into Tattenhall Marina in the first place? Can't imagine bringing a 70ft wide through the village or over the railway bridge.

D. From experience with a 52ft narrowbeam, I'm not sure how you'd even manage to get a 60ft widebeam into or out of Tattenhall Marina without a very large shoehorn. 70ft? Good luck with that!

IMG_2566.png

Edited by steve7a3
Smaller image size

10 minutes ago, steve7a3 said:

I have questions: 

D. From experience with a 52ft narrowbeam, I'm not sure how you'd even manage to get a 60ft widebeam into or out of Tattenhall Marina without a very large shoehorn. 70ft? Good luck with that!

It will obviously be delivered as an Airfix kit, with sh1tloads of metal glue!!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, steve7a3 said:

I have questions: 

A. Who buys a widebeam if they're not planning on living on it? I believe Tattenhall is still a leisure only marina?

B. How far can you cruise in a widebeam from Tattenhall Marina? 

C. How do you get your widebeam into Tattenhall Marina in the first place? Can't imagine bringing a 70ft wide through the village or over the railway bridge.

The cruising range is small anything over 9ft cannot get past Elsemere port and the other way Hurlestone junction may be reachable. The entrance would indeed be tight. And as it is a very exposed marina maneuvering even a narrow boat can become impossible. The locals were getting twitchy about liveaboards 7 years ago when we were there and the local council were investigating, obviously some solution was found.

• 3 weeks later...

Currenly the place has lots of available berths. Cant remember seeing it so empty.

Apparently about half of those there are live aboards too. Not sure how that sits with the local council..

The brokerage are selling a brand new widebeam, but with VERY limited cruising it seems a mad idea.

Perhaps Lakeland Leisure are hoping on turning it into a floating permanant home park?! Who knows!