L&L closed at Gargrave - diesel spill

PeterCr

Featured Posts

There is a hire boat moored above lock 33 at Gargrave that is leaking diesel into the canal. During the afternoon CRT guys were stopping boats from proceeding past Gargrave. As at about 5 or 6 last night there were padlocks on lock 33 and it had a boom and mats spread out on it to soak up the diesel.

The CRT guys tell me the canal is closed till further notice depending on the leak but don't expect it shall last long, possibly reopening today. Lock 33 is also subject to another notice but that is unrelated.

Just walked down to lock 33. The padlocks are off and the boom and mats are gone. The hire boat is gone too. Not sure where to.

There were a couple of guys there who were doing the work on lock 33. They said that the work is now finished, they are just there to collect tools, and the lock is back to normal generally. They also said that they thought the hire boat was still leaking diesel and there was clearly diesel in the canal at Gargrave so I don't know if there's problems further down but my better half has walked down there for shopping so she may be able to report on that later. But currently lock 33 is now open as normal.

2 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

I love roving reporters. 

Of course THE roving reporter was the one and only Fyfe Robertson.  

When I was at school we would amuse ourselves for hours with Fyfe Robertson impersonations.  Those were the days.

I once hired a boat when the weather was really hot. Didn't travel far the first day, only an hour or two.

Stopped for lunch at a pub on the second day,  on our return the stern deck was awash with oil and the surrounding ring canal was multi-coloured.

My first thoughts were that someone had used my rear deck to empty their waste oil into the cut, however it turned out to be that the hire company had brimmed the tank prior to our collection, and the hot sun playing on the counter had caused the diesel to expand and leak out of the vent on one of the dollies. Probably only spilled a cupful, but a tiny bit of diesel (or any other oil) can spread a long way on the surface of the water.