Stern gland leak

Featured Posts

Just now, Paolo Reale said:

Because of the recent posts about engine mountings, I decided I couldn't wait until the morning and have just checked them, much to the annoyance of my wife who's reading on bed, just feet from the engine! Anyway, the mountings appear really solid, so at least that's one thing I don't have to worry about. Thanks again to all who responded to my post.

I usually tap the engine mounts with a hefty spanner. They make a dull sort of noise if loose. 
It also annoys my wife if she is reading :)
Hopefully the drips will stop once some silicone gets into the system.
If not then it might be worth getting the engine alignment checked sometime. 

1 hour ago, F DRAYKE said:

I have the vetus water cooled stern gland on my boat, you can put to much silicon grease into it i managed to pop out the seal that you can see inside the engine room. so be careful.

I didn't know that. I've taken the front housing off and slid it up the prop shaft before and slapped loads of silicone grease in there with no ill effects.

16 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I didn't know that. I've taken the front housing off and slid it up the prop shaft before and slapped loads of silicone grease in there with no ill effects.

They have changed the design, Mike. I think the one you have is like my first one. I believe the early ones are a better product. My first was from 2004, and I'll guess that they changed it five or so years ago. Having had the newer type for a very short time, I can understand how one seal could be forced out.  I scrapped mine and fitted a radice stern gland.

Edited by Guest

Hi,

Managed to find a plumbers merchant near to where we're moored in Worcester. Asking for silicone grease, they said that Osma Silicone Lubricant was the only thing they had. It's a small 50g tube, so I bought it. Having made the mistake of putting K99 grease into my stern gland as this feed will explain, I thought I'd ask if anyone has heard of this and whether it's right for my stern gland. Hope someone can help.

Cheers.