Stiff Tiller

Lee Fricker

Featured Posts

12 hours ago, matty40s said:

You might find that it's not the bearing that is at fault  but where the rudder stock sits in the cup, especially if the boat has been sat doing nothing for a while.

Repeated use can cure this, or if the boat is out of water for survey , try lifting rudder, placing a 2p coin in the cup with some copper slip, and dropping back down.

My tiller was stiff when I bought the boat in 2011. When I lifted out a few years later, I forced waterproof grease into the cup where the stock sits. I actually thought it would wash out and become stiff again fairly soon, but it's been fine since.

3 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Thanks. i think that is a ball shaped rubber/plastic ball shaped bush in a housing. Some plastics can swell when in contact with water. I would remove the four bolts and lift the upper housing as far as it will go and see it the bush has rusted to the rudder stock. I think you wll then find out which bit is stiff. My guess would be stock rusted onto the bush and the bush tight in the housing. You may have to take the whole tiller assembly off to get a proper look at what is going on.

I keep wanting to call that bearing a Barstock bearing but I know that is not the name. Someone will be along with the proper name.

Thanks Tony.

Spot on...the cup had seized on the stem.

Have now freed it and all well.

Thanks again !.

Bob