Intercom/telephone

Gordon Chesterman

Featured Posts

With the family down below in the warm and dry as I stand on the back in the rain steering, I'm looking for a 12volt telephone/intercom system so that I can call them on deck with lock handle, a cup of tea or another biscuit. Are there any 'off the shelf' systems you can recommend? It needs to be idiotproof, waterproof and childproof and easy to install. Thanks, Gordon

With the family down below in the warm and dry as I stand on the back in the rain steering, I'm looking for a 12volt telephone/intercom system so that I can call them on deck with lock handle, a cup of tea or another biscuit. Are there any 'off the shelf' systems you can recommend? It needs to be idiotproof, waterproof and childproof and easy to install. Thanks, Gordon

Why not just get a pair of walkie talkies?

Do you mean a wired intercom like this?

a58fq.jpg

I saw this one on Maplin a few days ago just £9.99

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Module...14&doy=20m8

The cheapest solution would be the Maplins intercom.

Other ideas are the baby intercoms where you can wear one on your belt and the other

is fixed to the wall socket. Many of these allow handsfree two-way communication.

i think you find it hard to find a dedicated handset style intercom with a handset at each end.

Other ideas are a lift intercom if you can find a supplier.

Failing that, you could always buy a marine poit-point telephone. Google Phontech and look at their single line

power or sound powered telephone handsets - now they can be splashproof.

You could use a dect phone with an extension or two. It doesn't need to be connected to BT to work as an intercom, and they are very cheap these days. Still have the "gets lost, batteries get borrowed" though. And you'd need a 12v to 3v power supply (Maplins again) to power the base unit. Wish I hadn't mentioned it now! :P

no no for VHF - unless both users have received the training and abide by the restrictions.

these cheap walkie talkies that you can buy in Argos and places like that - Are they not VHF? - I know very little about this sort of stuff as you can tell

these cheap walkie talkies that you can buy in Argos and places like that - Are they not VHF? - I know very little about this sort of stuff as you can tell

http://www.446user.co.uk/

Everything you need to know (and more)

We use them and find it useful when someone "walks on" at a flight of locks also if you are off shopping and of course, rousting out the crew for lock duty,cups of tea etc. The type we use have sub-channels which cut out a lot of interference, if you buy the cheap 8 channel versions be prepared for x-talk and jokers.

Got a couple of these necklace things you get at shows with an identity card on and replaced the card with the radio - job done

The are a number which are rechargeable using a cigar lighter socket and adaptor see linky

Edit:- sorry, realise the "adaptor" bit was not clear. The one shown on the link requires 9 volts, but TTi can proved a cigar lighter gizmo which steps down the voltage and plugs into the charger

HTH

Edited by 5thHorseman