Seeking advice in planning our first narrowboat /canal trip

smwhitaker

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Thanks, Tumshie :)  I just requested their brochure and joined their email list.  Do you have any experience with this company?  Reviews of hireboat companies are difficult to find and I have read some unpleasant accounts of some companies.

19 minutes ago, smwhitaker said:

Do any of you think a staircase lock is too challenging for newcomers?

I doubt as a total newbie you'll find them any more, or any less challenging than an ordinary lock. If you arrive at one when its busy with traffic just moor up a little way back and walk up and watch how they work. If the staircase is quiet just look at it and figure out by looking what happens. Then prepare the first lock for your boat and go in. Take it slowly and fill (or empty) it. If anything seems to be going wrong or unexpected just close all the paddles and have a think. In extremis just wait until another boat comes along and ask them what to do. 

If its busy you'll probably find other boaters generally perfectly friendly and will to help. Just explain its your first staircase and ask how to do it....

9 minutes ago, smwhitaker said:

Do you have any experience with this company? 

I don't, no. They are one of the main hire companies, I think and have been training for quite a long time now, I've heard quite a few people on here mention them too. It's getting quite late now but tomorrow I'll have a hunt and see if I can find anything on here about them. If you pop back tomorrow I'll try and have something for you. ?

Edited by Tumshie

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I doubt as a total newbie you'll find them any more, or any less challenging than an ordinary lock. If you arrive at one when its busy with traffic just moor up a little way back and walk up and watch how they work. If the staircase is quiet just look at it and figure out by looking what happens. Then prepare the first lock for your boat and go in. Take it slowly and fill (or empty) it. If anything seems to be going wrong or unexpected just close all the paddles and have a think. In extremis just wait until another boat comes along and ask them what to do. 

If its busy you'll probably find other boaters generally perfectly friendly and will to help. Just explain its your first staircase and ask how to do it....

Thank you, Mike.  Sounds less daunting when you put it that way.  And then there's the spectacular scenery as your reward...

3 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

I don't, no. They are one of the main hire companies, I think and have been training for quite a long time now, I've heard quite a few people on here mention them too. It's getting quite late now but tomorrow I'll have a hunt and see if I can find anything on here about them. If you pop back tomorrow I'll try and have something for you. ?

Thank you so much, Tumshie!  so helpful!!

• Happy 1

1 minute ago, smwhitaker said:

Thank you, Mike.  Sounds less daunting when you put it that way.  And then there's the spectacular scenery as your reward...

You're welcome. We shall expect a commentary on your hols (with photos) once you've done it!!

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Here's a pic from up that way sent to me by a friend moored up there a few weeks ago....

I don't suppose they will mind me posting it.

image.png.c2b508ebce3d13a07a8a63d12bd131da.png

I can't see the photo in your post but I can if I quote you - beeezar. 

Edited by Tumshie

2 minutes ago, smwhitaker said:

only if it goes well haha ;) 

Should anyone fall in, you know the protocol?

1) Grab camera and take pictures

2) post on Facebook or here

3) Help them out and dry them off. 

:giggles:

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Should anyone fall in, you know the protocol?

1) Grab camera and take pictures

2) post on Facebook or here

3) Help them out and dry them off. 

:giggles:

He doesn't take the photos and isn't on FB so if he falls in, I'm ready with the protocol.  If I fall in, no one but him will know :)  

18 minutes ago, smwhitaker said:

He doesn't take the photos and isn't on FB so if he falls in, I'm ready with the protocol.  If I fall in, no one but him will know :)  

Selfies then, please!!!!!

girl-getting-on-the-dock-fail.gif

This is a risk when messing about on botes the whole world over!

Most of us have come close if not done this....

Mind you, this gurl has done it 127 times so far, and still counting... ?

15 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This is a risk when messing about on botes the whole world over!

Most of us have come close if not done this....

Mind you, this gurl has done it 127 times so far, and still counting... ?

oh, yes this has *almost* been me and hopefully I'll be able to still say that after our narrowboat adventure :) 

• Haha 1

oh, yes this has *almost* been me and hopefully I'll be able to still say that after our narrowboat adventure :) 

How disappointing, I was looking forward to the selfies!!!

Shire are a good company to use, they actually take you through locks when you first start. They have 2 bases one at Sowerby Bridge, one at Barnoldswick (Barlick). The boats are good and well equipped. Also,its Yorkshire... So a win, win situation. 

I might be a little biased. ?

8HF

• Greenie 1

I did a little search for Shire Cruisers and came across quite a few people who have used Shire who thoroughly enjoyed their holiday and highly recommend them. They're mostly lots of little comments made in passing so it seems a bit impractical to post links to them, but I will post a link to the search results. Quite a few regular members here, like 8HF, seem to have used them regularly before they got their own boat or because they haven't got a boat at the moment, and they all seem to think highly of them. 

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/search/&q="shire cruisers"&search_and_or=or&sortby=relevancy

If you want to do a search for anything you find interesting the search teacher at the top right of the page is pretty accurate. 

Another hire company that might be worth a look are Floating Holidays, I'm not quite sure how far out they cover, and I haven't been on one of their holidays myself but they are a relatively new family run business, who seem a really lovely couple. 

https://www.floating-holidays.co.uk