Python / aqua drive spare CV joint

Bee

Featured Posts

Have had a slightly rattly Python drive for a while so decided to do something about it. For those who don't have one its two CV joints on a short splined shaft, a new shaft plus joints is approx. £500 which is just daft. Each CV joint is a very normal 25 spline 100mm thing, I guess its much the same as an Aquadrive. I'm still not too sure what car(s)  it is used on but I took the whole greasy mess to 'Drive Shaft UK' Willenall 01902602103 They dismantled both joints, re assembled it with new clips and grease etc , said one was a bit worn and sold me one new joint as a spare. Whole lot was just over £80. Probably don't really need a spare joint but if it goes clatter and sheds balls everywhere whilst in the middle of France then £80 suddenly looks cheap. No connection with or bribes taken from the company.

• Greenie 1

29 minutes ago, Bee said:

Have had a slightly rattly Python drive for a while so decided to do something about it. For those who don't have one its two CV joints on a short splined shaft, a new shaft plus joints is approx. £500 which is just daft. Each CV joint is a very normal 25 spline 100mm thing, I guess its much the same as an Aquadrive. I'm still not too sure what car(s)  it is used on but I took the whole greasy mess to 'Drive Shaft UK' Willenall 01902602103 They dismantled both joints, re assembled it with new clips and grease etc , said one was a bit worn and sold me one new joint as a spare. Whole lot was just over £80. Probably don't really need a spare joint but if it goes clatter and sheds balls everywhere whilst in the middle of France then £80 suddenly looks cheap. No connection with or bribes taken from the company.

At worst they just rattle badly, not enough angular displacement for the balls to fall out. Good price for a rebuild, well found.

I know that my Aquadrive uses a CV off a Porsche and the other is a VW  Transporter, presumably the air cooled one.  There are different models so there will be variations to this.

I wanted a new splined shaft, GKN could not supply.

I stripped it, degreased and fitted the shaft in the mid position with Loktite. Its stayed absolutely tight ever since. Not a bad fix for a tube of glue and a bit of grease.

Similar case, the thrust bearing on my Python drive was getting very noisy. Took the bearing housing into Crewe Engineering who replaced the bearing while I waited (half an hour) for £50.  I didn’t even try to find out the cost of a replacement from the P.D. Supplier.