Pumpout Toilets

Edward_M

Featured Posts

OK, you may choose to ignore me as I sell compost toilets . . .

How about Warwick University, who confirmed that it is safer to drink urine than most tap-water?

All those who criticise compost toilets a) have never tried one, cool.png probably don't realise just how many there are on boats, and c) know nothing about them. They have been blinkered by 150 years of using WCs to think that it's a good idea to pollute drinking water and urine with faeces and pass it on to someone else. They then assume that others will make sure their waste doesn't pollute our planet . . .

How does Mr Smelly know that the number of compost toilets is miniscule when he hasn't done said poll?? Mross worries about the metabolites from compost toilets - where does he think they go from other toilets?? Do they just disappear when they go down the sewer? And the mutations in fish were caused by compost toilets were they?? I think that was from sewage actually.

It would be good if people only posted on here what they knew to be true, rather than scare-mongering, but I suppose that's too much to hope . . .

You're right about the mutated fish.

I had no idea until I caught this in the canal this morning:

3ba3fd4b2924291aac9c24ed427b4940.jpg

• Greenie 1

Love the picture . . .

Sorry, I was wrong about Warwick University, it is Birmingham University - Quote from the Guardian:

URINE is sterile because it contains no living organisms, unless the person that produces is unlucky enough to have a urinary tract or bladder infection. There are less bacteria in urine than in tap water, for example. But drinking tap water is (generally) safe because it contains no toxic substances. Urine is actually pretty toxin free as well, but does contain plenty of waste products and some salts. Drinking it is a bad idea because it would upset the salt and nitrogen balance in the body, and the body would have to lose excessive water (as more urine), in redressing the balance. Bear this in mind if you ever find yourself adrift at sea in an open boat.

(Dr) Peter Lund, School of Biological Sciences, University of Birmingham (p.a.lund@bham.ac.uk)
Mross, how do you get a 'normal' toilet on a boat? All boat toilets (inland) have containers of one sort or another and ALL can be disposed of incorrectly.
I rest my case . . .

URINE is sterile because it contains no living organisms, unless the person that produces is unlucky enough to have a urinary tract or bladder infection.

Your original claim was that urine is 'safe to drink'. Not quite the same thing.as 'contains no living organisms'.

I'm pretty sure bleach contains no living organisms either, but drinking it tends to be fatal...