Biscuit tin oven

OldPeculier

Featured Posts

Not really sure which section this should be in but...

Many many years ago I read an article in a boating mag that featured someone baking bread in a biscuit tin on the gas hob. Does anyone know anything about this? Anyone tried this?

Sounds intriguing but if it worked well, I'd expect it to be common knowledge by now.

But what's wrong with using the oven anyway?! Maybe this why no-one faffs around using biscuit tins :D

MtB

When I said many years ago I meant late 60s when luxury boats had 2 burners not just one.

As is often the case, I was looking for something else and have now sort of answered my own question.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/camping-oven-Optimus-Pakaway-Oven-For-Caravan-Or-Boat-With-2-Position-Shelf-/321392604562?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4ad47df592

Yes, they work quite well. You can also buy stove top ovens that are a bit better than biscuit tin ones. I used to have one like this OPTgJn7.jpg in my motorhome and cooked roast dinners in it regularly.

Delta,

That looks just the thing. Thanks.

The reason I am asking is that I have been doing a bit of thinking about what I really need on a boat. I enjoy cooking and I eat well but over the last month I have never used more than two rings (on a five ring range) and only used the oven (it has two) once. This is in the house by the way.

So I was thinking about a two ring hob and doing away with the oven. But I do knock out the odd loaf and cake.

For some reason most European motorhomes don't have ovens but British ones do. British folk really like their ovens. I bought my motorhome in Germany and couldn't find any there with ovens, the dealer told me that German motorhome builders only put ovens in their right hand drive models for export to the UK.