Ventilating Wardrobe

Sarah and Ian

Featured Posts

Hello

Mrs C has recently started to get her winter woolies out from under the bed. They all seem to have a musty smell not pungent but if you get up close its definitely there. These were vac bagged but some air had gotten into them. We have moisture traps under the bed and in the wardrobe. At the moment under the bed is sealed with no ventilation holes cut and the same for the wardrobe. Would it be woth cutting some holes to allow air to circulate??

Thanks in advance.

The short answer is yes!

Any unventilated space will acquire moisture and will get that musty smell. Better still if you can get a flow of air, so ventilation at both ends/sides. Easy to smarten up with some vent covers or fancy wood covers.

• Greenie 1

The short answer is yes!

Any unventilated space will acquire moisture and will get that musty smell. Better still if you can get a flow of air, so ventilation at both ends/sides. Easy to smarten up with some vent covers or fancy wood covers.

Thanks to both for this. Would you put high and low level vents in the wardrobe??

Thanks to both for this. Would you put high and low level vents in the wardrobe??

Yes, so natural convection will help the ventilation also.

I haven't yet (needed to) put computer fans to assist the ventilation as when I built the wardrobe I ensured there would be adequate ventilation, but I won't rule it out until we've seen how it goes over winter!

We have under bed storage fully ventilated by drawing cool air from the bilge in summer. We also put all everyday clothes & materials in baskets that fit in shelf sections. Keeps stuff nice & fresh. The other side of the bed has a large pull out trolley where winter/summer stuff is stored, all stays fresh avoiding that awful musty smell.

Bedroombaskets.jpg

Utilityroomdrawer.jpg

I was originally going to fit a door in front of the trolley, but ended up leaving it as it adds even more ventilation.