Rudder bolt embellishes,

POCO

Featured Posts

Morning everyone, does anyone know where I can get on of these, I've only just found out what they are called ( even if that correct)

It is a brass ornament that sits on top of the rudder nut at the base of the tiller swan neck, I've been trying to get one for ages as a 21st wedding anneversary gift to my wife,

I've only ever seen one or two boats with them on,

Can anyone help??????

Morning everyone, does anyone know where I can get on of these, I've only just found out what they are called ( even if that correct)

It is a brass ornament that sits on top of the rudder nut at the base of the tiller swan neck, I've been trying to get one for ages as a 21st wedding anneversary gift to my wife,

I've only ever seen one or two boats with them on,

Can anyone help??????

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=58399 see post #16 Is this the sort of thing you are looking for?

I don't think there's anywhere that you can specifically get these. All the ones I've seen started life as something else. The one referred to looks like the end of a curtain rail, for example.

Quite a few historic boats have added a bit of bling by making one from a brass shell case with a knob on top. I bought a large brass hexagonal wagon wheel hub from a stall at the Braunston show for a few quid, but I notice they fetch silly prices on ebay.

It just needs a bit of ingenuity and the ability to fettle.

My first effort, with RLWP's help was a door knob.

dscf5277y.jpg

The second and current effort was indeed a curtain rail end as Koukouvegia suggests.

zdvu.jpg

Both were obtained at the Braunston Historical Boat show in subsequent years.

The two above threads say it all really.

The Bolt which Richard made for me was tapped with a M8 thread.

The original screw on the curtain rod end was big enough for me to use a die and tap a M8 thread on it.

Edited by Ray T

Lockside Antiques (www.lockside-antiques.co.uk) had some of these on their stand at Crick. I think they were bed knobs in a previous life! Might be worth asking them.

Attaching them to the top of the rudder post may require some thought as Koukouvagia says. Ours got knocked off by the boatyard when they were lubricating the rudder bearing, and I haven't yet worked out how to re-fix it.