3G signal boosters

Charlotte Burnett

Featured Posts

My work situation has changed somewhat and I need much more reliable internet and phone than I currently get. I tether an iPhone on 3. I am out of contract and intend to remain that way until 4G services are more widespread but will upgrade pretty quickly. However, 3G speed when it is good, is fine for my needs, I just need it when I'm moored under a tree in the rain in the middle of nowhere, reliably.

Who uses a booster/repeater? How much has it improved your signal?

Thank you

Before using a booster / repeater, find a whip aerial with the highest gain you can, or a dish aerial if your boat / where you are means the boat is quite stable. Then mount it as high as practical and in the clear, outside. If you only use when stationary, consider a pole mount that can be flipped up when you have come to a stop, for some extra height gain. It is important to have a bit ( best you can get) of signal before you start amplifying the signal ( and noise) - also use good quality interconnecting cables with low loss, where cables are used. Unless you are well off the beaten track, all of these methods should rarely be needed though, and a magmount with high gain whip may well be good enough.

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

Not used one but any booster/repeater will only be as good as the signal it receives, no signal no boost/repeat.

The only advantage you would get is that the aerial could be outside the boat and so possibly get the signal easier that the i-phone inside.

ps. if 3g is OK for your needs then do not dismiss a contract, good 4g coverage is a long way off.

You could also look into having a separate sim for internet use and have a Wi-Fi router such as the Huewai 5332 then connect wirelessly to the i-phone. and up to four other Wi-Fi enabled devices (laptop)

May be worth getting an unlocked Mifi with antenna socket for those times the iphone won't do.

The Ofcom Sitefinder website will tell where the nearest cell tower is, some cheap PAYG sims from different networks will give a choice of networks to connect to.

A hi gain whip antenna or directional panel antenna will work best with a weaker signal, the panel antenna can be handy in certain situations though needs pointing in the right direction.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

How do I connect an iphone to a whip aerial?

You can't directly, some claim stick on or wrap around adaptors that adhere to the phone case work but given where the aerial is sited (around the edge) I seriously doubt one of these would work with an iPhone.

You can however connect an aerial to a dongle which in turn can be plugged into a wireless router, this is what we do, you then connect to the router using the iPhones wf-fi, the same as you would do at home.

Or you could go with the arguably more elegant suggestion made by Bottle/and Smiley Pete and use a mi-fi which accepts an external aerial, these are basically a dongle and router 'all in one'

In my experience, bandwidth is more important than signal strength. I moor in the centre of Brum and get a good strong signal, but at peak times, internet speed is so slow, it's largely pointless. Early in the morning it's much quicker. If i head out of the city, I may only have 1 bar of signal but I get much faster speeds, even at peak times. Is there anything I can do about this? It seems to me that the phone companies are racing to 4G before they sort out bandwidth issues on their current networks. I can stream video no problem on 3G when I have a reasonably good signal and I'm not slowed to a crawl by too many users on the network.

I'm watching this with interest as a family friend has recently be told she cannot get broadband at a holiday cottage in the lakes she is renting out and is looking for alternatives.

Several people have to stand outside to make a call, but while it was poor at time, I could often get plausible signal and data connection on my phone if not stable enough to be considered good.

Daniel

In my experience, bandwidth is more important than signal strength. I moor in the centre of Brum and get a good strong signal, but at peak times, internet speed is so slow, it's largely pointless. Early in the morning it's much quicker. If i head out of the city, I may only have 1 bar of signal but I get much faster speeds, even at peak times. Is there anything I can do about this? It seems to me that the phone companies are racing to 4G before they sort out bandwidth issues on their current networks. I can stream video no problem on 3G when I have a reasonably good signal and I'm not slowed to a crawl by too many users on the network.

Directional aerial like a panel antenna may help, allowing a further away less crowded tower to be picked out instead of a nearby crowded one.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~