Shower pod

Featured Posts

Just found out our shower waste has been leaking into the bilge. It looks like it is an old problem since we bought the boat. Some of the sub floor ply is rotten. A few years ago I had a weekend in a mobile home on a caravan site and it had a shower pod type thing. All in fibreglass with a built in seat and everything all nice and round and sort of soft feeling. It looked really sturdy. Easy to clean. I've tried googling for them but can't find the right thing. Anyone know if they are suited to narrowboat use?

Steve P

I cannot tell you if the Pods are suitable for narrowboats - (though every one I've used (as in Budget Hotels such as Ibis, Etap, Accor etc) have been far too high/tall

However - if you get a decent quality shower base, with a good high 'upstand' (sp?) around the back and side(s), fix it securely, (and make sure you can access the drain plumbing afterwards!) - - then it's not difficult to create your shower walls using PVC sheet, (Google Foamex)

Food factories use this stuff for their wall linings because it's damn-near impregnable, totally waterproof, light and easy to work with, and seals well using silicone sealants - lap over the 'upstand' of the shower tray - - job's-a-gud'n

We have a hip bath/shower. It has a small seat on one side and a small ledge on t'other. Not strong enough for a fat git to sit on though.

Allows you to shower and get about 1.5 ft water depth if you want. Then pump o/b at the end rather than continuous during shower so saves wear and power

Shower trays with upstands used to be quite common at one time, doesn't seem too be the case these days, pity really as it's the only practical solution to getting a proper seal.

Problem with shower pods is actually getting one into a narrowboat, only way I can see is to have a removable panel in the roof to allow the pod to be lowered it into position. If it was designed in two halves with the top half fitting into the bottom half, a sort of deep lid with an inner fitting lip, it would be just the job.

Shower trays with upstands used to be quite common at one time, doesn't seem too be the case these days, pity really as it's the only practical solution to getting a proper seal.

Problem with shower pods is actually getting one into a narrowboat, only way I can see is to have a removable panel in the roof to allow the pod to be lowered it into position. If it was designed in two halves with the top half fitting into the bottom half, a sort of deep lid with an inner fitting lip, it would be just the job.

I have to take the walls down because they are probably as rotten as the floor. So maybe if I can get one low enough it would be ok. Mind you, I'll probably go the old fashioned tried and tested way with a new tray and shower walls. Thanks all.

Steve P

I have to take the walls down because they are probably as rotten as the floor. So maybe if I can get one low enough it would be ok. Mind you, I'll probably go the old fashioned tried and tested way with a new tray and shower walls. Thanks all.

Steve P

Even if you manage too get a pod into the boat either through a side hatch or the doors you still have to get it upright to slide it into place which is impossible.

An inflatable one maybe!

But in fitting a new base, one could 'plastic weld/glue/silicone' upstands to the relevant sides - (using sheet pvc) and achieve an excellent result

Problem with shower pods is actually getting one into a narrowboat, only way I can see is to have a removable panel in the roof to allow the pod to be lowered it into position. If it was designed in two halves with the top half fitting into the bottom half, a sort of deep lid with an inner fitting lip, it would be just the job.ninja.gif

There must a way to get a proper seal, but sadly a lot more ways to cock it up. Doesn't help if the fitout follows the 'no belt OR braces' approach either. sad.png

IME there's nothing like the forces of nature, the demands of a liveaboard lifestyle, and even a degree of neglect, to accelerate the exposure of shortcomings in the quality of a boat's fitout or systems. ninja.gif

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete