stolen boat!

Ally

Featured Posts

Please can members look out for a blue narrowboat, stolen from EMBS near Kegworth on the River Soar,

Details:

STOLEN BOAT: 60ft Blue Narrow Boat called Samshiba. It is licensed to Feb 2014 and its CRT number is 502276. Leicestershire police have been informed and issued crime number 290 7/5/13. It was stolen last night (6/5/13 - 7/5/13) from East Midlands Boat Services.

941937_10201100604020671_565927862_n.jpg

So, details, crime number etc.....please keep an eye out and contact Leicestershire police if you have any information!

Thanks

from Jim Shead: Unusual width too!

Samshiba Built by BLACK PRINCE - Length 18.89 metres (62 feet ) - Beam 2.13 metres (7 feet ) - Draft 0.45 metres (1 feet 6 inches ) Metal hull, power of 999 BHP. Registered with British Waterways number 502276 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 20-Apr-2012.

Edited by Ally

Could someone local give some idea of how far it may have travelled in one day?

Richard

Depends exactly when it was stolen! I suppose it could have easily have got into Leicester, certainly up the Trent...not sure how far, or onto the Trent and Mersey towards Burton-on-trent, but I don't know what time it was stolen.

It could also be holed up on one of a few backwaters locally, getting a new paint job!!

yes, seems it was stolen from it's moorings

Surely in a car, someone could travel up and down the canals quite quickly....it cant be THAT far ......especially if there's locks in the area......and with that front window/door combination, even a paint job wouldnt hide that...

Some other identifying traits....

the rails on the roof...

gold windows.....

5 down each side......

KEEP YER EYES OPEN FOLKS.

Distinctive features:

Two rubbing strakes (only)

Sloping sides to cabin front

offset front door

Brass step

pipe handrails

four closely spaced windows, large gap, then single window

Cruiser stern

Flying saucer air vents on roof

No side hatches on left side

Protective hoop on boiler vent?

Richard

I'm a little hesitant to put this up, I'm pretty sure it is the same boat:

samshiba1.jpg

If so, it shows some features of the stern and cabin back

Richard

When were those pics taken?

can't read the reg number, but it looks the same boat, and there is only one listing of this name.

brass toe steps back and front...at least to port side!

I think so too. If so, not the hooded back to the cabin, similar to Alvechurch hire boats (and TawnyOwl)

Richard

the fender hanging eye below the bw.number may be a distinguishing feature

well spotted...one at the front too!

lock keeper at Sawley sometimes...don't know if informed, I assume so as I imagine C&RT are informed

I have informed Steve Cropper,(C&RT) locally, just incase!!

The off centre front door combined with that style of window makes it a little more distinctive when viewed from the front

Thanks Ally for sharing - I hope it gets found soon

Surely in a car, someone could travel up and down the canals quite quickly....it cant be THAT far ......especially if there's locks in the area......and with that front window/door combination, even a paint job wouldnt hide that...

Some other identifying traits....

the rails on the roof...

gold windows.....

5 down each side......

KEEP YER EYES OPEN FOLKS.

It looks to me pretty well like just about all the sold off circa 62 feet Black Prince boats of about the same age, which all share that offset door at the front arrangement. There are an awful lot about - I'd say we passed at least 4 tied up yesterday!

What distinguishes it at the moment is a smart paint job, as an awful lot of them are still in various states of fading of the original Black Prince colours, or have received amateur paint jobs a lot less flattering than that.

Also whilst no expert, don't a lot of BP boats of that era have all square corners to the windows, rather than the radiused bottom corners shown here.

Their best chance of disguising it might be if it was easily possible to repaint it to "distressed" Black Prince livery!

As a fellow Black Prince owner (of the scruffy paint job variety) I'm pretty sure a few boats were built with the part mitred- part radial windows. Most however were fully mitred like mine... Eventually they became radial in all four corners a la Worester Marine S-types. All the "distinguishing features" listed in the posts above though are typical of any BP boat pre-tyre bow fender era! And of course someone could mask the nice blue paint job. However I've never seen a Black Prince with the folding toe steps, so that's the feature I'd be looking out for. Otherwise there could be a lot of legitimately owned Black Prince boats getting reported as arf-'inched!

It looks to me pretty well like just about all the sold off circa 62 feet Black Prince boats of about the same age, which all share that offset door at the front arrangement. There are an awful lot about - I'd say we passed at least 4 tied up yesterday!

I can believe you probably did pass four tied up yesterday but out of how many boats you passed in total?

In my point of view a nice, easily spotted distinguishing feature like the front door/window arrangement means that if I had been on the look out while on your boat yesterday I could have discounted every boat I passed apart from those 4.

Once you spot one of them it is time to remember the other bits and see how many match up.

With the best will & current Daylight hrs from Kegworth the boat could be ...

Cromwell (Held up by Tides)

Topside of Fradley on the T&M or along the Coventry before Hopwas.

Topside of Leicester Between Aylestone & KIlby.

These are possible in a NB with long hrs (Discounting night cruising) as we have done them - But not to a novice crew.

Excluding the aid of local boatyards with slips (Easily available info to police) then look for hidey holes -

Backwater towards A46 from Cossington, this is Navigable for a good distance - There are moorers at the Soar Junction above the lock.

Backwater below Bishops Meadow - Shallow after a few 100yds but Navigable to get 'out of sight' - Regular visits by farmers I would suspect at this time of yr.

Ratcliffe Backwater - Unlikely due to the amount of Livaboards there.

There is the old wharf entrance on the Leicester Mile below the football ground - Unlikely as well used by canoeists. Or the Basin above Lime Kiln that is rarely used.

Of course - Up stream from Trent embankment - This is navigable further than some think. Or Upstream past Shardlow - fairly difficult at current water levels.

All highly unlikely but could be visited by a gruop of cars / bikes fairly easily apart from the Cossi backwater.

Hope it gets found !