Shobnall Boat Services

PaulD

Featured Posts

Waterways World website reports today:

"Shobnall Boat Services ceases trading

We learned this morning that Shobnall Boat Services, the chandlery based in WW's home town of Burton-on-Trent, has ceased trading.

Owner Andy Garside said: "We have fallen victim to this terrible recession and have seen a marked down-turn in business over the last two years, coupled with increased competition. We were fortunately only 1 - 2 days away from completing work on a repaint of the only boat we had in our workshop at the time, and through the tremendous support of our staff (now unpaid) and a tremendously generous offer from Robert Neff at Mercia Marina of the use of his dry dock for a couple of days, we have been able to completely finish the work to the customer's total satisfaction."

The site is owned by the long-established Jannel Cruisers (01283 540006/07837 546032), who operate the moorings at Shobnall Basin - which are not affected. They hope to be able to reopen the dry-dock, gas and sales in the next few weeks. Shobnall's surveyor Iain Jones is continuing to work on a self-employed basis (07860 779476).

I tried to call Iain as he is booked to do my BSS on Wednesday but the number is wrong. Anyone have the right number?

Paul

That's a shame - it was quite handy having a chandlers at that spot.

Good to hear Mercia stepped in to help and the willingness of the staff to finish the boat painting speaks volumes too...

I tried to call Iain as he is booked to do my BSS on Wednesday but the number is wrong. Anyone have the right number?

Paul

I guess the number on here will be no use now but there is an email address -

http://www.canaljunction.com/boat/surveyors.htm

Iain Jones (Jannel Cruisers) Burton on Trent 01283 540006 jones.iain@virgin.net

Edited by MJG

We (me and my son)had a look at that before SBS took it over.

We felt that the ingoing was far too much considering the 15 year lease wasn't guaranteed renewable, in addition to a high rental.

Only my view though. Perhaps SBS negotiated better terms. Also it was a shame that the moorings weren't included in the lease.

Martyn

Yes, we moored there for a couple of days as visitors. Whilst I think the moorings are a separate business, we did buy a few things from the chandlery and had a pump out. Owner was pleasant and helpful. They ran a free book exchange which was great. Sad they have gone

It is incredibly tough out there. The marina we operate from has had a really hard year due to massively reduced numbers of private boaters passing by on the Leeds Liverpool (presumably due to fears of a repeat closure)

Part of the problem is that everyone is feeling the pinch so wheras boaters would regularly have their engines serviced, that old bathroom renewed etc, they simply aren't.

Waterways World website reports today:

"Shobnall Boat Services ceases trading

We learned this morning that Shobnall Boat Services, the chandlery based in WW's home town of Burton-on-Trent, has ceased trading.

Owner Andy Garside said: "We have fallen victim to this terrible recession and have seen a marked down-turn in business over the last two years, coupled with increased competition. We were fortunately only 1 - 2 days away from completing work on a repaint of the only boat we had in our workshop at the time, and through the tremendous support of our staff (now unpaid) and a tremendously generous offer from Robert Neff at Mercia Marina of the use of his dry dock for a couple of days, we have been able to completely finish the work to the customer's total satisfaction."

The site is owned by the long-established Jannel Cruisers (01283 540006/07837 546032), who operate the moorings at Shobnall Basin - which are not affected. They hope to be able to reopen the dry-dock, gas and sales in the next few weeks. Shobnall's surveyor Iain Jones is continuing to work on a self-employed basis (07860 779476).

Paul

Bang goes any guarantee on the £1500 we just spent there. Middlewich Narrow Boats gone bust too with our £300 deposit. What next??