Furtherto the early 70s

Tam & Di

Featured Posts

Alan's mention of Sam Horne towing Ben Kilbricht down, he thought to Bull's Bridge, made me remember that we towed what I recall as being that from Stockers or Ricky to Cowley for conversion as a houseboat. We ourselves eventually fetched up with Ben Cruachan and Ben McDhuie that we used for engineering works.

I only dabbled in photography, very badly, and unfortunately as it now turns out the great majority of my stuff is on colour slide. I did not find the photo of that tow job which I'm sure I have somewhere, but did find some things maybe of interest while hunting.

We're back in France at the weekend to try to teach people how to go on, so did not have a lot of time to sort things intelligently. Herewith a crude splatter of some I have - including some of particular relevance to some members, I think.

red-1.jpg

red-2.jpg

red-5.jpg

red-3.jpg

red-6.jpg

red-4.jpg

red.jpg

Edited by Tam & Di

Great stuff, Tam.

I didn't ever really get to photograph Bilster or Angel, so it's nice each time a new one appears from somewhere.

I've seen loads of Angel going up to load, (with Elstree), but very few I've ever seen of her actually with a load on.

Nice too to see a picture of the "Riser", one of my brother's old haunts. It has recently been reported as found as "not open", so lets hope that's not a permanent condition.

Also great to be reminded of Mimas and Rae, often seen passing through my home patch.

As for the pictures of Astrea.... Well :lol:

Looks like Jill and Dave Humphries on Badsey leaving the Riser, and more than likely Barnes about to be pulled out steered by ??

Can't help with that. Nor why on earth they would be taking an empty butty on a line rather than cross straps.

Tam,

That appears to be Bicester, in your colours, with Angel ?

If so, I wasn't I think aware that you had operated it.

Can you confirm, please, and do you know when and/or where it was taken ?

Somebody mentioned that boat on here recently, but I can't now remember the context ?

If it is Bicester, was it still Perkins P3 powered at this stage ?

I couldn't work out why Barnes wasn't on cross straps, either, in fact most empty boats didn't bother to even single out along that pound, as far as I can remember.

Tam,

That appears to be Bicester, in your colours, with Angel ?

If so, I wasn't I think aware that you had operated it.

Can you confirm, please, and do you know when and/or where it was taken ?

Somebody mentioned that boat on here recently, but I can't now remember the context ?

If it is Bicester, was it still Perkins P3 powered at this stage ?

I couldn't work out why Barnes wasn't on cross straps, either, in fact most empty boats didn't bother to even single out along that pound, as far as I can remember.

Bicester was the 6th boat in our working fleet. I can't remember dates off-hand, but I'll try to look up details when we are next in the UK for any length of time.

I've put on a couple of photos which I have on the computer. Unfortunately legs don't bend as well as that to write boats at that stupid angle any more. Bulbourne Dock, of course, and the "Black Beauty" film backdrop of Stockers.

What puzzles me too is why Angel was clothed up. We would not do that with the barrels. I'll ask Jason (our son, on the tiller) when we next see him - he might remember.

2-2.jpg

1-2.jpg

Nor why on earth they would be taking an empty butty on a line rather than cross straps.

Why snubber - Bob getting steering practice?

I used to take out newbies on Nuneaton & Brighton. I often used the snatcher, or just one cross strap, especially on short pounds, so the butty steerer had to stay alert, at least until they learnt the ropes.....

I found otherwise that novices soon learned to completely ignore the steering and would be asleep when you needed them most. On a notable occasion, one walloped a bridge arch with the front corner of the back cabin. She was photographing a cow at the time. Luckily Brighton had a steel cabin, but one of the dollies (inferior and non original) was torn out of Nuneaton in the process.

I suppose it did get another part of Nuneaton restored (I'm aware it originally had a hook on one side) as I was able to machine up a 'Northwich' replica at work, even to the point of adding 60 years of rope wear. Can anyone tell them apart?

Edited by Hairy-Neil

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Tam,

nice shot of Nautilus & fazel, Is that jos with sprog on the back end of the motor??? I sent a few weeks on Fazel at ricky doing conversions for tripping on the K&A. was Roderick doing the locks ???

good times,

Yes, Nautilus and Fazeley, early-mid 1970s, owned by Rod Atkin when he was with Jos. He has a converted Dutch klipper (Vios) he keeps in Cambrai, more or less where we run our courses from nowadays.