BW Key

FadeToScarlet

Featured Posts

We are making the last preparations and have realised that we need a BW key BEFORE we get to Birmingham to start the cruise, because the boat is in a marina currently only accessible by a BW key locked gate!

The BW waterscape website is down, helpfully, so just wondering if anyone knew where we could purchase a BW key in London? thanks!

We are making the last preparations and have realised that we need a BW key BEFORE we get to Birmingham to start the cruise, because the boat is in a marina currently only accessible by a BW key locked gate!

The BW waterscape website is down, helpfully, so just wondering if anyone knew where we could purchase a BW key in London? thanks!

I've got a spare you can borrow if you are in London tomorrow or Tuesday

I've got a spare you can borrow if you are in London tomorrow or Tuesday

that would be amazing! we are in london til Friday :lol: We could have lunch again. :lol: we can return it, once we have our own, when we see you in Cropredy!

Edited by FadeToScarlet

Many Chandlers sell them if your near to one. I'm sure Midland Chandlers do and they offer a mail order service. ( Last time I used them it was next day delivery and only charged £1 for a small item)

Dont forget you may also need a BW Handcuff Key for some of the locks depending where your going.

Geoff

Dont forget you may also need a BW Handcuff Key for some of the locks depending where your going.

Geoff

So far as I'm aware, the "handcuff" anti-vandal key is a midlands, an possibly northern thing.

I've not encountered them anywhere in the London area or anywhere in the South East,

The Yale/BW/Watermate key is of course a must.

The approach taken on some of the London (Regents Canal) locks, is not to lock the paddles, but to actually gate off access to the lock at all, without a key.

That said, most we encountered, had been left unlocked.

If you are buying, I'd buy two. People lose them regularly, and if left in a lock somewhere, the odds are not good on them being there when you go back.

If you encounter paddles locked with the Yale key, and you don't ave one, you are completely stuffed, (unlike the handcuff keys, where something from the toolbox can be persuaded to open them!)

Thanks all,

Waterscape decided to be co-operative and so I've ordered both Yale and Handcuff keys (we're starting off on the BCN so might need the latter) plus WarriorWoman is very kindly lending a spare.

I just hope they arrive on time!

They arrived today! We have two Yale keys (for now) and a handcuff key, woop!

Hurrah! :lol:

Don't relock any paddles until you have locked through. You will see people unlock the top paddles, fill the lock, take the boat in and then relock the paddles before going to unlock the bottom paddles. Unlock them all and relock when you have finished.

Sorry but disagree with ditch crawler -

If your being steady/carefull/sensible why..?

weve had some problems around berko a few times where the anti vandal locks havnt been put back on by a boat late evening and guess what happens..

local youff have played and partially drained the pound.. scuppering our early start schedules...

and has been said, best to have a couple of them needed for water points/elsan points rubbish bin access - sort of supprised they wernt needed before.