Mikuni heaters

Gibbo

Featured Posts

It's started to get cold but not enough to light the fire so I've been using the Mikuni.

It's fired up about 10 times so I took out the glow plug and its housing ready for my regular "clean all the crap out before it blows the glowplug yet again" trick.

What did I find? A completely spotlessly clean glow plug with no crap or carbon on it whatsoever. Looks like new. The surrounding gauze also being completely clean of rubbish/buildup.

The only thing that has changed is I now get the diesel from a different place.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Gibbo

It's started to get cold but not enough to light the fire so I've been using the Mikuni.

It's fired up about 10 times so I took out the glow plug and its housing ready for my regular "clean all the crap out before it blows the glowplug yet again" trick.

What did I find? A completely spotlessly clean glow plug with no crap or carbon on it whatsoever. Looks like new. The surrounding gauze also being completely clean of rubbish/buildup.

The only thing that has changed is I now get the diesel from a different place.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Gibbo

We used to get the same thing with Eberspachers some customers no problems one customer lots, the one with lots worked in a job that gave him "access" to diesel at work that was probably of a less then guaranteed pedigree.

Did you by any chance buy diesel from a supplier on a NB. A friend of mine, who runs a marina, warned me that some of these people are selling "diesel" though it's not "red diesel" but indeed heating oil.Chris

Previously yes, Until about 2 years ago. It was the same then. Always getting carboned up.

Later it was always from the same marina. I'm not saying which one. The pump does say on it "gas oil" but everyone just assumes it's an old pump that used to be used for gas oil.

I last filled up there last summer. I used that tank full up until about March this year, then had no further need for it. Every 2 weeks or so I'd remove the glow plug and housing and clean all the crap out.

I filled up from a different place about 2 months ago. And lo and behold the glow plug is perfect after 10 fire ups. Nothing else has changed.

Gibbo

Have you forgiven your poor Mikuni? (and has Mikuni forgiven you!) :D:D cheers,Pete.

I actually quite like it now :D

And that's why I thought I'd better tell people. However if it does turn out to be that running them on gas oil wrecks them then perhaps Mikuni should say so?

Gibbo

Bleedin' carriage return fairy again. When is this going to be fixed?????????????????

Edited to put all the stolen carriage returns back in.

Edited by Gibbo

I'm wondering red diesel versus gas oil?

There has been lots about this on YBW at various times.

There are only two types of red:

1: high sulphur red which is gas oil

2:ULS red which is the same as road diesel but dyed red.

On of the guys on YBW works for an oil company and he heas said that in recent times as the demand for ULS Diesel has grown then oil companies are switching production from gasoil towards ULSD so there is a good chance that whet you buy is now red ULSD.

And as for heating oil that burns cleaner in a Mikuni than diesel, all be it with a little less heat.

Julian

This is a matter which is the subject of more contradictions than the Al Quaida friendly society.

It can't be that long ago that we had a quote from an oil company that red dyed DERV was "Not an available product".

DERV, gas oil, heating oil, 28 second, 32 second, someone somewhere who sounds like they know what they are talking about is wrong.

There has been lots about this on YBW at various times.

There are only two types of red:

1: high sulphur red which is gas oil

On of the guys on YBW works for an oil company and he heas said that in recent times as the demand for ULS Diesel has grown then oil companies are switching production from gasoil towards ULSD so there is a good chance that whet you buy is now red ULSD.

And as for heating oil that burns cleaner in a Mikuni than diesel, all be it with a little less heat.

Julian

So what did Mikunis eat 15 years ago when ULSD didn't exist?

Gibbo

This is a matter which is the subject of more contradictions than the Al Quaida friendly society.

It can't be that long ago that we had a quote from an oil company that red dyed DERV was "Not an available product".

DERV, gas oil, heating oil, 28 second, 32 second, someone somewhere who sounds like they know what they are talking about is wrong.

I was only passing on info from someone who should know.

I will admit he doesnt say that it is available just that its getting harder to source 0.2% 32sec oil to be made into Red and the direction that we may well have to go.

As a blender of diesels ... I can say that it is getting harder to source the 0.2% Sulphur diesel used as base for Red / Agri diesel as more refinerys are clearing out to produce ULSD ... 50ppm and less Sulphur ....

The provision of 0.2% Diesel for Red therefore is phasing out over time .. not only that EU directives are to have overall near Zero Sulphur diesels on market ... but also due to supply. It will take some years before it is finally not available but as supply and cost escalates - markets will turn away from it anyway.

Julian

Glow plugs :D

Seriously AFAIK the diesel I have is 2%Sulphur which is normal Gasoil, having just called the supplier that what he tells me it is.

the ULSD is a present and future thing.

I know that my mikuni will run on the following:

ULSD

Heating oil

Red diesel (gas oil)

I have been told that it will burn Bio Diesel but havent had the nerve to try it yet.

I suspect that your previous supplier had crud/water in the tanks which is what was causing the problem. I had one load from a tanker that gave me similar problems as well as diesel bug!

Just bought the most expensive red ever 573L at 51pL. Even from a tanker it would have been 48pL and I would have had to have been there, so the extra £16 it cost me to buy from a boat was worth it in my eyes.

J

OTOH is 'red' diesel 28sec, 35sec, or something with red dye in it?

According to this website, most heating oil is 28sec, with a minority 35sec.

http://www.scf.co.uk/main.php?p=aboutheating

I would hazard a guess that higher sulphur and/or heavier oils needs an additive, which may be what Julian is doing.

Maybe when the Mikuni is cold these oils don't atomise or burn as well as they need to.

I know that my mikuni will run on the following:

ULSD

Heating oil

Red diesel (gas oil)

Does this include using an additive?

cheers,

Pete.

Edited by smileypete