Chimney flue

jenlyn

Featured Posts

Had a party on me boat last night, and one of my guests informed me that my chimney flue would not pass future BSS because it's not double skinned. Is this true?

its castor and bollux jen, so long as it's sealed and stove bolted down it's fine as an existing installation.

New installations however, may be different.

Another member on here was told by an "expert" that her chimney wasn't wide enough for a smaller than squirrel stove- it's the standard chimney that fits the stove!!

anyhow, party and no invite.....that is serious!!

Edited by matty40s

its castor and bollux jen, so long as it's sealed and stove bolted down it's fine as an existing installation.

New installations however, may be different.

Another member on here was told by an "expert" that her chimney wasn't wide enough for a smaller than squirrel stove- it's the standard chimney that fits the stove!!

anyhow, party and no invite.....that is serious!!

Thanks Matty, I did have a look at BSS site, and the directive looked advisory. Just wandered if things had changed. "no invite" thought you were on sosij sarnys yesterday? Lol

Have a look at this link it seams quite informative with regards to boat stoves and chimneys and as the replies and this site state the new BSS is not compulsory, but I'm sure alot of people will be trying to make money on it be saying all old single skin fitting will not comply with the BSS, but it's only advisory amd not compulsory, please see the following link http://www.soliftec.com/Boat%20Stoves%201-page.pdf

Edited by mickeyduff

correct, advisory not compulsory. On old fittings, the BSS mainly just checks for scorching, that it is fixed down, and that the cement seals are intact. If you have signs of scorching, it may be another thing all together though!!

Whilst the new advise for double skins etc is advisory, and singles can still be fitted, it is much harder to comply on distances with a single flue now, so I'm guessing many will opt for the double one to avoid having to fit in the centre of the boat nearly, or out on the towpath for safety!!!!! ;)

If I could just add another thing - quite often folks on here muddle the initials BS (British Standard) with BSS (Boat Safety Scheme).

(It's a bit like the horrible term "amps per hour" rather than the correct term amp hours when describing battery capacity!!).

The "new" (it's nearly two years old now!) document BS 8511 - "Code of Practice for the Installation of Solid Fuel Cooking and Heating Appliances in Small Craft is NOT referred to in the Boat Safety Scheme Guide (yet).

The production of BS 8511 was promoted by the MAIB, not the BSS and it was published by British Standards.

However I think there is now a page on the BSS website that refers to 8511 as something to try to comply with when doing a new stove installation but as Ally says, it is not mandatory.

BS 8511 also allows you to have a single skin flue pipe from the stove top up to a point 1m above it but to be compliant you should have the proper double skinned collar/chimney from 150mm below the roof to 600mm above it.

It remains silent on what exactly should happen for the length from 1m above the stove up to 150mm below the roof!

I'm being pedantic as usual but really I'm sure the writers of the CoP would prefer us all to have a fully fledged BS 1856 compliant flue from top to bottom.

These are now available for use on boats but are very expensive. Recently there have been documents published by Soliftec that suggest that stoves will burn for longer per fill of fuel and at a lower output when using a proper, full length insulated flue. This is because these flues will draw better than a single skin one while the stove is fired at a lower temp.

This is something I want to try for myself one day!

Richard

Edited by rjasmith