Bitumen on WBP ply

noff

Featured Posts

I want to replace the ply sub floor with new wbp ply and I was going to give it a nice thick coating of bitumen paint on the bilge side to seal/waterproof it .

i was told by WICKES that it cannot be used on WBP ply ... ( they didnt know why) .

Does any one know if its true ?? does it dissolve the ply glue or something??

If I cannot use Bitumen any other suggestions please

I want to replace the ply sub floor with new wbp ply and I was going to give it a nice thick coating of bitumen paint on the bilge side to seal/waterproof it .

i was told by WICKES that it cannot be used on WBP ply ... ( they didnt know why) .

I did it with ours 7 years ago, thinned down a bit, still good as new.

.....didn't builders use WBP for flat roofing before OSB? ISTR they use bitumen/pitch/tar/whatever on them to bond the felt.

I'm not a builder/roofer, but I can't see the problem.

I think the fact that they did not know why but also say you cannot sort of disqualifies them from giving advice.

I see no problem to coat the ply perhaps say two thin coats as apposed to one thick coat.

If it is good WBP ply then as it means Weather and Boil Proof it should be durable without the bitumen coating but nothing like belt and braces approach to a good job.

In my refit there will be something on top of the floor such as vinyl or carpet, so I had intended to use Wickes OSB3 Polycoat which, apparently was dipped in some coating, or other. It seems they have changed this and it now has only a layer of polythene glued to one side so I shall now be using ordinary OSB3 painted with some sort of coating (probably Waxoyl underneath & paint on the top).

I have been advised by a timber merchant that Water and BoilProof ply has a good WBP adhesive between the laminations but that the wood itself is still prone to swelling and rotting, hence the (preferable) use of OSB3 which apparently has all the strands effectively coated and is less prone to rot.

:lol:

I would 'back prime' any unseen wood surfaces ideally with a somewhat breathable wood stain, eg Sikkens Cetol or similar.

Failing that any wood stain will do, or even paint. Wood stain will go touch dry much quicker than paint though.

cheers,

Pete.

thank you all for the replies ,,, lots of options now .I like the Sikkens cetol idea , easy no mess, anyone used it > cheers :lol::lol:

interesting info about WBP versus OSB, I always though OSB was the poorer quailty material but now Ive learnt something .. thanks Dave.