Prince 'on the gravel'

sparrowcycles

Featured Posts

20 hours ago, black cap said:

I have to confess age must be fogging my mind, I honestly did not recall the yellow paint, I do remember tadging out a foot of concrete to put in the new bottom at Humby;s yard, the old Wells wharf opposite Wulfruna Coal, and putting in the JP3 and new cabin, a good few ton went down the Soar that was;nt recorded or paid, you could struggle to get off when loaded, she often dropped another 3 inches when you slid off, just a thought, I hope the person that nicked all my tools from the engine room made good use of them

Now that IS hard work, I've done it but never that thick. Do you know by any chance whether any parts of a bcn boat were used to re-foot/bottom Prince? Having looked at one part from the inside it does look like it. 

I'm going to be taking Prince back to brum for the winter. 

6 hours ago, Pluto said:

There were several wide boats on this traffic, including ex-L&LC boats Wye and A38, ex-A&CN June, and these two, Soar and Tess. The loading facilities were not idea for wide boats.

1975c 240 Soar and Tess, Soar.jpg

Weren't some found to be too deep in draught to get under the bridges when empty? 

16 hours ago, sparrowcycles said:

Weren't some found to be too deep in draught to get under the bridges when empty? 

That rings a bell, and was probably why Wye and June ended up on the job. Those loading the boats did not realise the difference between the L&LC boats and June, loading all down to the same level. As June was deeper, she had to have work done later on the resulting thin plating.