Narrowboat alternatives as live-aboards

larkshall

Featured Posts

Heres a question for you all:-

Whilst I'm looking for a NB, moorings seem to be a real problem. SO decided to lok at alternatives (barges, converted trawlers and the like). there seems to be a plethora of boats many with moorings to suite all budgets.

Are there discussion sites like this one devoted to other live aboard boat types?

Heres a question for you all:-

Whilst I'm looking for a NB, moorings seem to be a real problem. SO decided to lok at alternatives (barges, converted trawlers and the like). there seems to be a plethora of boats many with moorings to suite all budgets.

Are there discussion sites like this one devoted to other live aboard boat types?

You could try yachting and boating world forum www.ybw.com

Im having the same problem, finding a suitbale boat is no problem but moorings are the hold up. I also have the problem of selling my current boat which being a classic wooden MFV with all accessories will probably be only attractive to a certain section of the market. good luck with the hunting

You could try yachting and boating world forum www.ybw.com

Im having the same problem, finding a suitbale boat is no problem but moorings are the hold up. I also have the problem of selling my current boat which being a classic wooden MFV with all accessories will probably be only attractive to a certain section of the market. good luck with the hunting

:):o:) That'd be me then!

How much? more photies?

The problem with classic wooden boats is that they are severely undervalued.

I've got my eye on a beautiful 1930s 50' ex-lifeboat, fully kitted, nice fit-out, very original, and he can't sell it at 8k.

The Dunkirk little ship, roma, started out at £20k, failed to sell on ebay at £10k. Built 1917, 1940's mahogany fit-out, all sorted but can't sell. I thought about offering what I could afford but it seems an insult to the craftsmen that built it and maintained it.

:):o:) That'd be me then!

How much? more photies?

The problem with classic wooden boats is that they are severely undervalued.

I've got my eye on a beautiful 1930s 50' ex-lifeboat, fully kitted, nice fit-out, very original, and he can't sell it at 8k.

The Dunkirk little ship, roma, started out at £20k, failed to sell on ebay at £10k. Built 1917, 1940's mahogany fit-out, all sorted but can't sell. I thought about offering what I could afford but it seems an insult to the craftsmen that built it and maintained it.

will sort out some photos. She is an x scottish herring boat. 50' larch on oak, heavily framed built by forbes of sandhaven in 1934. requesitioned by the admiralty in 1940 for pilot and harbour duties and returned to fishing in 1945 when the admiralty fitted the gardner 4L3. converted to lvaboard in 1970's and been cruising the south coast ever since. I first crew'd her 8 yrs ago. she is gaff rigged and we have been taking her to the ostend at anchor festival for the past 7 years. She is on at 45k. My original plan when i bought her as a single chap was to take her to the baltic when i retire in 7yrs then maybe the med or who knows, but then a woman came along. ruined all the plans by not enjoying sea travel. She loves the Medway but get out towards northforeland in a NE force five with the spray comingover the bow and im ordered to return to calm water :cheers: so its back to the canals or only go out in nothing above a f3