GUC Leicester from Napton

tafkam

Featured Posts

We are hiring a narrowboat this summer, and although we have been cruising before with parents and family, this will be our first trip 'in charge' as it were.

We're hiring from Calcutt near Napton, and have been looking at heading across to Braunston and up to at least Market Harborough on the Leicester branch of the GUC. We are looking to be on the move for between 6 and 8 hours a day, with hire from Saturday 3pm to Saturday 9am, so essentially 6 full days. A few questions:

1) How far might we be able to get up the Leicester branch? Is Kilby Bridge (bridge 87) feasible? What about if we also want to spend some time at Market Harborough?

2) Is the Welford arm worth a detour?

3) Any recommendations for overnight stops, and maybe lunch stops near pubs/shops as appropriate?

Any comments and advice warmly welcomed

Thanks

Michael

We are hiring a narrowboat this summer, and although we have been cruising before with parents and family, this will be our first trip 'in charge' as it were.

We're hiring from Calcutt near Napton, and have been looking at heading across to Braunston and up to at least Market Harborough on the Leicester branch of the GUC. We are looking to be on the move for between 6 and 8 hours a day, with hire from Saturday 3pm to Saturday 9am, so essentially 6 full days. A few questions:

1) How far might we be able to get up the Leicester branch? Is Kilby Bridge (bridge 87) feasible? What about if we also want to spend some time at Market Harborough?

3) Any recommendations for overnight stops, and maybe lunch stops near pubs/shops as appropriate?

Thanks

Michael

The leg from Buckby down to Foxton is nice and after the Watford flight is 20+ miles lock free with plenty of mooring spots

Take a trip up the Market Harborough Arm, The Harborough basin is a good spot to rest up and replenish stocks as it is only a short walk into town. You can moor just outside the basin or pay £5 (I think) to more inside the basin.

The leg from Foxton To Harborough is lock free but has one swing bridge (waterways key required)

The trip up to saddington turn may be worth while but if you continue through the tunnel you have 12(?) sets of double locks down to Kilby bridge with very few mooring spots and, obviously, the same number of locks coming back. If you do decide to go through Saddington tunnel then a good spot to pull up is at bridge 73 where it is just a short walk into Fleckney which has a chip shop, chinese take away, Co-op supermarket and a post office/convenience store. After Fleckney its all locks.

If you continue past Kilby heading towards Leicester then it is worth noting that from Kilby on all the locks have anti-vandal locks on so, again, a key is required.

Diesel can be obtained from

Foxton (although it is sometimes difficult to get near the pump)

and

Debdale Wharf (between Foxton and Saddington)

No Diesel is available from Market Harborough, although other services are available

No Diesel is available from Kilby

I also understand that Diesel is no longer available from North Kilworth as it appears the yard is shutting down (Pleased to here differently if anyone knows the latest position at North Kilworth)

Whatever you do have a good trip

Regards

Thanks

Michael

Hello tafkam. I am sure you are in for an enjoyable and easy cruise if you keep to your plan. You will have no problem in getting to Kilby Bridge and back including Market Harborough and the Welford Arm. I recommend both. You will want moor at Braunston. Food average here maybe better at the Nelson Arms by Braunston Locks. Stop at Crick and walk to the Red Lion. Good and reasonable last year. We have eaten well at Welford and Market Harbotough but cannot remember the names. Sounds like a nice plan to me.

Thanks for the comments folks.

Having been browsing in the meantime, we're now pondering just going as far as Market Harborough, and perhaps if time then allows on our return, detouring down the Grand Union towards Weedon Bec. So my thinking is something like:

Saturday - Calcutt to Braunston

Sunday - Braunston to Yelverton Wharf

Monday - Yelverton Wharf to Foxton

Tuesday - Foxton to Market Harborough (stop for lunch) then return to Husbands Bosworth

Wednesday - Husbands Bosworth to Welford (lunch) then back out to Crick

Thursday - Crick to Norton Junction as then as far as reasonable, perhaps Weedon Bec

Friday - Back as far as Napton Bridge

Saturday - Return to Marina.

Sound do-able? Is Weedon Bec of any note?

My boat is currently based at Calcutt and in March we went to Market Harborough and did the Welford arm on the way back. Easily done in one week - We didn't set off until 9am or 10am most days. We stayed overnight at Foxton and down the Welford arm too.

Be aware of the Lock opening times at Welford and Foxton, lest you end up arriving at Welford locks after 3pm with only the motorway service station to go to! Though I assume by "summer" you aim to go in the next month or so, and so will have the longer opening times.

Be aware of the Lock opening times at Welford and Foxton, lest you end up arriving at Welford locks after 3pm with only the motorway service station to go to! Though I assume by "summer" you aim to go in the next month or so, and so will have the longer opening times.

Just for clarification, did you mean Lock opening times at WATFORD and Foxton ?

Regards

p.s

Tafkam-Have you tried the route out on CanalplanAc, free online route planner at

http://canalplan.org.uk/

Edited by reg

Tafkam-Have you tried the route out on CanalplanAc, free online route planner at

http://canalplan.org.uk/

Yes, we have, although I find it a little hit and miss. I'm still not sure how best to guide it on speed of movement on broad and narrow canals, but suspect that the automatic figures are a little low. Also, it seems to propose fairly arbitrary stops en route, without an option to suggest things like overnight stops within walking distance of a nice pub.

On that matter, any pub recommendations on that route?

Well it does have one, but it's not much of a rise, and certainly doesn't need a lockie!
Does Watford "need" one - it depends on your definition of "need" we didn't see the lockie going and only did on the way back because we were going through after 2pm so he popped out when we were approaching the bottom lock to lock it after we went though.

Welford is a nice quiet diversion - if we'd had more time its a great place to relax for a few nights, though not sure what its like in August.

I think it's worthwhile doing the locks from Saddington through to Kilby, or at least to Newton Harcourt. It's a very pleasant patch and usually busy enough to go up/down with another boat. To my mind one of the finest moorings on the whole system is at Newton Harcourt. Wonderful views over the old church and Whiston Hall. Sun sets just right to provide a fine view from the side doors! No pub though, which just proves that nowhere is perfect.

I think it's worthwhile doing the locks from Saddington through to Kilby, or at least to Newton Harcourt. It's a very pleasant patch and usually busy enough to go up/down with another boat. To my mind one of the finest moorings on the whole system is at Newton Harcourt. Wonderful views over the old church and Whiston Hall. Sun sets just right to provide a fine view from the side doors! No pub though, which just proves that nowhere is perfect.

Have to agree with all of that. I was only thinking of the time factor, it's a lovely stretch which I walk quite often.

I did forget to mention that their is a turning point part way along near Cranes Lock which, if I remember correctly, is the 5th lock along from Fleckney.

Note: Fleckney chip shop closed Monday lunch time

Edited by reg