Shall I replace gas cataytic for multi fuel stove?

Goldberry

Featured Posts

I've read lots of similar posts on here, but I'm still undecided... My boat is an easy-to-heat 32' Springer and I'm concerned about the safety of the gas heater that's in there... However, I'm also concerned about the use and maintenance of a fuel stove. What I'd really like is just a simple radiator that runs from my boiler in the same way as normal domestic household ones do.. but my research has not shown a simple solution. Am I missing something or is a fuel stove really the way to go?

Cheers, Sam

By gas heater, do you mean the instantaneous water heater? I think they're pretty safe if sensibly serviced and properly vented. If you are concerned, get a CORGI gas man (or similar) to check it.

I'd definitely think about a little solid fuel stove. They draw air and help ventilate the boat, and a real fire lifts the spirits (ok cleaning it can be a pain, but you can minimise this if you use low-ash briqettes).

EDIT - If you are running the engine 5hrs a day (as you say in your other thread) you could have a radiator instead of a calorifier linked to the engine cooling system, and get free heat from that! I'm sure I've seen a thread about doing that.

Edited by Breals

I've read lots of similar posts on here, but I'm still undecided... My boat is an easy-to-heat 32' Springer and I'm concerned about the safety of the gas heater that's in there... However, I'm also concerned about the use and maintenance of a fuel stove. What I'd really like is just a simple radiator that runs from my boiler in the same way as normal domestic household ones do.. but my research has not shown a simple solution. Am I missing something or is a fuel stove really the way to go?

Cheers, Sam

Hi,

Whether you have a gas heater or stove it would be well worth getting a CO alarm, Argos do one with a digital display which is handy I think.

Edit:

I would prefer a solid fuel stove to a gas heater but have both if space allows. I use to have and really like one of the oft-maligned (undeservedly I think) Torgem solid fuel stoves.

Gas is about 3x as expensive as coal but for short periods of heating it's very convenient.

If your boiler is a gas instant water heater like a Paloma/Rinnai it isn't possible to run a radiator from it at all.

cheers,

Pete.

Edited by smileypete

By gas heater, do you mean the instantaneous water heater? I think they're pretty safe if sensibly serviced and properly vented. If you are concerned, get a CORGI gas man (or similar) to check it.

I'd definitely think about a little solid fuel stove. They draw air and help ventilate the boat, and a real fire lifts the spirits (ok cleaning it can be a pain, but you can minimise this if you use low-ash briqettes).

EDIT - If you are running the engine 5hrs a day (as you say in your other thread) you could have a radiator instead of a calorifier linked to the engine cooling system, and get free heat from that! I'm sure I've seen a thread about doing that.

Sorry, I didn't explain it very well. I meant gas wall heater - a catalytic heater I think from the 80s or early 90s. I do have a gas boiler as well for water heating which I'm very happy with, but it's the heater that I'm thinking about ripping out and having a multi fuel stove instead. Because the boat is very small, I shouldn't require any radiators - just the stove should be enough to heat the boat sufficiently. But I'm not sure if I should just keep the gas heater and fit a good carbon monoxide detector or spend the money on the stove, as I'm concerned about the hassle of dealing with it - hopefully I can get some idea of public opinion...?? Cheers! Sam

Depending on how long and often you were on the boat - I'd say split the difference. Get your solid/multi fuel stove, but keep the gas powered rads 'just in case' for those reallllly cold mornings.

Yes, getting a CO detector is always under the heading of "A VERY Good Thing" irregardless of 'heat source'

I used to have one of those on my 32ft narrowboat. I would say bin it, unless you only use your boat in the summer so need a very occasional heater.

This is really tricky to explain, but a solid fuel stove is "dry" heat, which makes a world of difference in the boat. With my catalytic heater the condensation used to actually pour down the insides of the windows, but this isn't an issue anymore.

No need to mess about with radiators or anything else, a good stove is all you need.

Cheers, Sam

Hi Sam.

You do realise that the fitting of catalytic stoves as new equipment is no longer allowed, but you are permitted to retain the heaters that were originally fitted to your boat. There is a lot of hysteria about gas equipment these days but if if your system is sound you will have probably a one thousand times greater risk involved with your car journey to the boat and back.

As Drunky says the heaters are quite handy for occasional use, giving virtual instant heat but they do have their problems with condensation. Most important though you must bear in mind that you can't increase the heat output from your solid fuel stove, adding a radiator will only serve to distribute it a bit better and with a 32 ft boat I doubt if it is worth the trouble and expense. Have you thought about one of those Eco fan thingies, ridiculously expensive but if I was in your position I would experiment with a 5 quid computer fan serving the same function.

Edited by John Orentas

Hi Sam.

You do realise that the fitting of catalytic stoves as new equipment is no longer allowed, but you are permitted to retain the heaters that were originally fitted to your boat. There is a lot of hysteria about gas equipment these days but if if your system is sound you will have probably a one thousand times greater risk involved with your car journey to the boat and back.

As Drunky says the heaters are quite handy for occasional use, giving virtual instant heat but they do have their problems with condensation. Most important though you must bear in mind that you can't increase the heat output from your solid fuel stove, adding a radiator will only serve to distribute it a bit better and with a 32 ft boat I doubt if it is worth the trouble and expense. Have you thought about one of those Eco fan thingies, ridiculously expensive but if I was in your position I would experiment with a 5 quid computer fan serving the same function.

Also, those old catalytic jobbies use loads of gas iirc (though it was a long time ago).

Thanks for all the info and the new words I've been able to add to my vocabulary :smiley_offtopic:

It's such a small space to heat, but at the same time I'm going to be living aboard and I want to have the best experience possible, and I know if I'm freezing to death I'm not going to go the distance... I've also been ringing round to see about an Alde system - a new boiler with one radiator perhaps to heat the main area of the boat, but I reckon that would come in at around 2 grand! What I don't want to happen is to fit a fuel stove, and then my hot water boiler packs in and I have to replace that too... I shall keep pondering..

What's the deal with waking up on a cold morning with just a stove? Does it take ages to light? Can you keep them lit at night? I have seen tons of posts about them, but struggling to find definitive answers - I guess it all comes down to personal choice in the end. Cheers

Hi Sam.

Didn't realise you were planing to live on the boat, I go along with all that Drunky says, the problem is that these units are not 'flue'd', all the products of combustion end up inside you boat and that includes a lot of water vapour hence condensation general dampness problems, summer time is no problem you just need lot's of ventilation.

A reasonable solid fuel stove should be ample for a 35ft boat and with a bit of practise you can always get the knack of keeping them burning overnight.

Sam

As has been intimated, a catalytic heater is best described as a water maker, the boat will dripping in water and all the upholstery/bedding will be damp (no way of drying it as further use of the heater will just increase the water/dampness.)

A multi-fuel stove, just needs a little practice/patience and they can be kept going indeterminately (someone on here said they have lit theirs in October and it has not gone out till the next spring.)

Always use good quality dry fuel. (wood or coal)

The heat will be 'dry' and you may even find that you have to open the doors to let the heat out :smiley_offtopic:

SamAs has been intimated, a catalytic heater is best described as a water maker, the boat will dripping in water and all the upholstery/bedding will be damp (no way of drying it as further use of the heater will just increase the water/dampness.)A multi-fuel stove, just needs a little practice/patience and they can be kept going indeterminately (someone on here said they have lit theirs in October and it has not gone out till the next spring.)Always use good quality dry fuel. (wood or coal)The heat will be 'dry' and you may even find that you have to open the doors to let the heat out :smiley_offtopic:
Ah this is all good stuff, thank you and it's helping me to decide. Can you actually regulate the heat then with a solid fuel stove, or is it simply 'on' or 'off'?
Ah this is all good stuff, thank you and it's helping me to decide. Can you actually regulate the heat then with a solid fuel stove, or is it simply 'on' or 'off'?
Usage note Irregardless is considered nonstandard because of the two negative elements ir- and -less. It was probably formed on the analogy of such words as irrespective, irrelevant, and irreparable. Those who use it, including on occasion educated speakers, may do so from a desire to add emphasis. Irregardless first appeared in the early 20th century and was perhaps popularized by its use in a comic radio program of the 1930s.

Hi Sam

Regulation is usually by a 'spin wheel' or slide mechanism, there is a delay for the fire to burn more fiercely or to die down but with experience you will get use to it.

In time you will get to know the best position to control the fire burning rate and the temperature required.

I have not used but as recommended the ecofan will distribute the heat better, no power required or a small computer fan will also work.

One of the greatest joys of boating for me is waking up, lighting the woodburner, putting a kettle and a pan of porridge on top then going back to bed until the kettle whistles. Having breakfast ready and a warm boat is bliss.

Of course if I were out all day and wanted something that warmed up everything in 10 minutes like you get in a house I'd look at something like an Alde, but the running and installation costs will be a nmuktiple.

One of the greatest joys of boating for me is waking up, lighting the woodburner, putting a kettle and a pan of porridge on top then going back to bed until the kettle whistles. Having breakfast ready and a warm boat is bliss.

Of course if I were out all day and wanted something that warmed up everything in 10 minutes like you get in a house I'd look at something like an Alde, but the running and installation costs will be a nmuktiple.

Yeah, I agree, and thanks for everyone's input. The Alde looks just too expensive and I don't really want to pay two grand just for the privilege of running one small radiator. I also found out that the 'combi' boilers actually have to store water - they don't heat as they go like my current water heater. So, alert the media... I'm going for the stove. :smiley_offtopic:

Ah!!! now there's the rub which one :smiley_offtopic:

Time to do some research ....... This Boatman Stove is a basic multi-fuel stove for not too much money (£225, or £285 with back boiler). I think that it's good value, and it can certainly belt out enough heat for your boat - with or without an Ecofan.

Usage note Irregardless is considered nonstandard because of the two negative elements ir- and -less. It was probably formed on the analogy of such words as irrespective, irrelevant, and irreparable. Those who use it, including on occasion educated speakers, may do so from a desire to add emphasis. Irregardless first appeared in the early 20th century and was perhaps popularized by its use in a comic radio program of the 1930s.

Well, I probably got it via family via Yanks that were posted to Whitby during war and those involved during the construction and early running of RAF Fylingdales. Either way - tough! I like the word and am sticking by it! :) (And I've been known to still use "Whilst", too!)

Ooooo - but I like the cooking range stove on those Boatmans ranges. Shame I can't justify to myself getting one! :)