Rust Treatment

Maverick

Featured Posts

Has anyone had any long term rusults from using Rust Treatments?

I used some Hammerite rust Treatment today. Gave the area a good cleaning to get rid of the loose flaky stuff and applied generously with a brush.

It has done what it says on the can, but what now? will it last? stop the area from re-rusting? give me a sound base to apply a top coat of paint that will last a couple of years????

Has anyone had any long term rusults from using Rust Treatments?

I used some Hammerite rust Treatment today. Gave the area a good cleaning to get rid of the loose flaky stuff and applied generously with a brush.

It has done what it says on the can, but what now? will it last? stop the area from re-rusting? give me a sound base to apply a top coat of paint that will last a couple of years????

Is it specifically for use with Hammerite paint? If so, where are you using it? Hammerite is good for inside engine rooms or anywhere the finish doesn't matter too much but it won't give you a nice smooth topcoat.

Is it specifically for use with Hammerite paint? If so, where are you using it? Hammerite is good for inside engine rooms or anywhere the finish doesn't matter too much but it won't give you a nice smooth topcoat.

Its on the top of the swims in the engine bay. I'm not too particular in a smooth finnish just want to know if the treatment will stop the rust and last a couple of years or will the rust continue .

Hi

Hammerite is the top coat, as long have you applied it correctly it should last a long time. (ensure there are no 'pinholes')

Hammerite will 'chip', as it drys to a very hard finish (long cure time) the name gives a clue to the finish you get.

If you want a smooth finish use 'Smoothriite'

Edit: posts crossed, it should last a lot longer than two years.

Edited by bottle

Hi

Hammerite is the top coat, as long have you applied it correctly it should last a long time. (ensure there are no 'pinholes')

Hammerite will 'chip', as it drys to a very hard finish (long cure time) the name gives a clue to the finish you get.

If you want a smooth finish use 'Smoothriite'

Edit: posts crossed, it should last a lot longer than two years.

Think thers a little confusion here. I havnt actually applied a top coat yet. I have used a rust preventative treatment made by hammerite. Its turned the rust black as it should do but I am just wondering what is now beneath the surface. Has the rust been stopped permanantly or will it eventually start to bubble up through the new topcoat (when I apply it) in a couple of months time say?

Edited by Maverick

Its on the top of the swims in the engine bay. I'm not too particular in a smooth finnish just want to know if the treatment will stop the rust and last a couple of years or will the rust continue .

It sounds good to me if you're painting down there.

After I had some steel hasps welded on my doors I was about to paint over them with Hammerite but was told by the welder to give it a couple of days until the welds had started to rust and then just paint them without treatment. It sounded odd to me but apparently it gives the Hammerite a key. After 2 years they're still rust-free.

If you've had heavy rust down there the surface will already be rough even after the rust treatment, so you should be fine.

Edited by blackrose

Hi Maverick

The rust treatment has converted the rust, it is no longer 'rust', the way to stop the rust coming back is to paint .

Sorry I misread your original post I only knew of Hammerite paint did not know they also did a rust treatment.

despite the claims of various suppliers, you should cover the protected rust with a decent paint system as soon as possible. With some systems (eg Fertan & milkstone remover) it is important to thoroughly rinse the treated area with water and allow to dry out before overpainting to remove any nasty chemical residues that might affect the paint.

Edited by chris polley

vactan, it is the same as hammerite only i think a bit cheaper. (rust converter not paint)

we have used it on the hull before blacking ( along the waterline) weve used it in the engine area and on other areas that need painting.

ive used it before, as long as you work it into the rusty area, it does really work.

get some paint over the top though to protect the converted rust area, stop it getting chipped/damaged as this will allow new rust to form.

Edited by honey ryder