googlehome etc

Nut

Featured Posts

Hi All

hope you are all in fine fettle and are having a suitable Saturday evening GMT that is.

Im curious to know if any of your good selves  are using either Googlehome or Alexa on your Boats and how you are fairing with them.

when we are fortunate to finally climb aboard I intend to control the boat when needed from my phone( ask why if needed) :ninja: and no not when im in a lock lol.

on a personal note reading back on the topics and posts from yester year is very informative

kind regards

Nut

7 minutes ago, Nut said:

indeed they are I control everything in the house from a distance temperature  lights slow cookers fire extinguishers etc

So, are the devices connected by wifi and interfaced to Google/Alexa?

I guess it will be the same on a boat as a house as long as you have a reliable internet connection and power supply.

Edited by rusty69

8 minutes ago, Nut said:

indeed however te question was  have you have one etc connected

I think the point is that your internet connection access is by no means a given on a boat. What you should be doing is disabling your internet at home and see how well they function then just using wi-fi. I suspect the functionality will diminish considerably without an internet connection.

Edited by MJG

Exactly - a lot of the home automation devices need a good internet connection and usually need some server communication to get round the dynamic IP addressing of most broadband providers. I’m currently considering using one of my Wi fi controlled switches on the boat to switch a heater on. That should work with Alexa ( learn new skill EWeLink in my case.) From what I can gather google home is a bit less intuitive. 

I reckon it will work because we have a good Wi-fi signal in the marina but haven’t actually tried it yet.

without t’internet the functionality is much reduced to say the least. Maybe different kit might be ok without t’internet 

Edited by jonathanA