Pram Hood

Hopcott17

Featured Posts

Hi,

New-ish to boating (6 months). I have a 50ft Stern Cruiser and due to the recent poor weather, I was thinking about getting a pramhood to pretty much keep dry and also benefit from more space. 

Can anyone recommend cheap but good installers? 

Thanks

George

8 minutes ago, Hopcott17 said:

Hi,

New-ish to boating (6 months). I have a 50ft Stern Cruiser and due to the recent poor weather, I was thinking about getting a pramhood to pretty much keep dry and also benefit from more space. 

Thanks

George

You won't regret it.

An extra 'room' great for coming on board with 'wets' on, dog storage, and even having a meal in when the weather is wet but warm.

We could 'drop' ours and fold it up in under a minute, and only took 2 minutes to put up. When it was down for cruising I would put it up (if raining) whilst waiting for SWMBO to operate the locks.

In hot weather the roof could be left up and the sides removed so it was a sunshade - a very versatile piece of kit.

Don't know of any installers in your area but budget around £2000 for a decent one.

Go for 'material / canvas' rather than PVC, it doesn't leak after the 1st rain has swollen the stitching, and is much easier to put up in cold weather.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You won't regret it.

An extra 'room' great for coming on board with 'wets' on, dog storage, and even having a meal in when the weather is wet but warm.

We could 'drop' ours and fold it up in under a minute, and only took 2 minutes to put up. When it was down for cruising I would put it up (if raining) whilst waiting for SWMBO to operate the locks.

In hot weather the roof could be left up and the sides removed so it was a sunshade - a very versatile piece of kit.

Don't know of any installers in your area but budget around £2000 for a decent one.

Go for 'material / canvas' rather than PVC, it doesn't leak after the 1st rain has swollen the stitching, and is much easier to put up in cold weather.

Thanks so much for the help!!

Think average is c.£2k so will budget that in! :) 

1 hour ago, Hopcott17 said:

Hi,

Thanks

George

Good and cheap don't tend to come together in the marine market!!

Can't help with fitters in your area but go for one with a good reputation. A bad cover is worse then no cover at all.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You won't regret it.

All of that^^   Only difference is ours is PVC. Might try a canvas one next time. Are they easy enough to clean?

2 minutes ago, catweasel said:

All of that^^   Only difference is ours is PVC. Might try a canvas one next time. Are they easy enough to clean?

Just a 'medium' scrubbing brush and a bucket of warm water with 'tent' (canvas) cleaner in it.

Just tends to be the joints and seams that hold the muck, the canvas almost seems to be self-cleaning

(Cleaned in-situ)

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Just a 'medium' scrubbing brush and a bucket of warm water with 'tent' (canvas) cleaner in it.

Just tends to be the joints and seams that hold the muck, the canvas almost seems to be self-cleaning

(Cleaned in-situ)

Cheers will keep that in mind. I think our PVC  hood will have another two years in it, which will take it to 16 years old. It has started going brittle these past 12 months, presumably owing to UV.