Falkirk - suggestions for surveyor & boat transport

janetah

Featured Posts

Hi,

We're considering buying a narrowboat in Falkirk and making enquiries about both a surveyor in that area and a transport company, the latter would be to bring the boat down to Leeds area (probably Lemonroyd) so we can bring it ourselves back to our home in Notts. 

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

For a survey, Ross Hunter .

no useful suggestions re transport, except that the hire fleets get new boats occasionally, and the retiring ones are often sold locally, which would imply empty trombones going south :detective::D

21 hours ago, ronnietucker said:

I could give you the number of Danny who brought my 22ft boat from Peterborough to Glasgow. You could give him a go. Definitely knows his stuff and was very helpful.

Thanks Ronnie, much appreciated. Looks like the boat at Falkirk now sold, but if it comes available I'll be in touch for Danny's details.

44 minutes ago, AllanD said:

While you are still looking for a suitable boat may I suggest that you suss out the availability and costs of suitable dry docks and slips to facilitate a survey.  There are not many on the Lowland Canals. 

Regards, Allan 

Again, not sure of the suitability, but just throwing this out there: have a look at Rothesay Dock.

I had my little GRP cleaned and launched from there, and Keith (recommended by Danny) was very helpful. Even drove me to the nearest station for petrol.

36 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

Again, not sure of the suitability, but just throwing this out there: have a look at Rothesay Dock.

I had my little GRP cleaned and launched from there, and Keith (recommended by Danny) was very helpful. Even drove me to the nearest station for petrol.

Apparently the road bridges at Bonnybridge and Twechar are about to be closed for the foreseeable future so the only way out for a lift will be Grangemouth.

If you need a dry dock there is one on the Falkirk Linear, it was owned by Capercaillie cruises (not sure who owns it now)

I used A Adamsons for a survey, they were recommended and were pretty good, but quite expensive