How to build a barge online

Featured Posts

I have uploaded a site to follow the build of 57' x 12'6" barge here:-

http://www.boatmart-online.com/boatbuild/

I will post more pictures into the galleries as the build progresses.

Feel free to use this thread to post any question/suggestion or requests for more detailed picture, the site links back in to this thread to allow you to move between the forum and site.

The site is a bit basic at the moment but I can tailor it to suit the kind of feedback you give.

Gary

Gary,

With the current world wide shortage of steel, has this affected your procurement routines?

As a percentage, roughly how much has the increased price of steel added to the finished product ?

Thank you

Gary,

With the current world wide shortage of steel, has this affected your procurement routines?

As a percentage, roughly how much has the increased price of steel added to the finished product ?

Thank you

This was the steel suppliers statement in April 2004,

" As many are now aware, the Chinese continue to develop their manufacturing base at a greatly increased level, when compared to most other industrial countries.

Their latest hunger for raw material, iron ore & steel product, has now left the majority of Europe fighting for what is rapidly becoming a rare commodity. This is having a major effect on steel producers who have increased their prices on finished product to levels totally unprecedented.

Whilst Corus indicated a 25% in the first quarter of 2004, with further increases of 6 to 8% indicated every month for the next six months, in real terms, steel prices have already increased on hollow section by over 76% since late 2003.

At this time, their is little evidence of any action being taken by the DTI to arrest this situation & therefore as manufacturing companies continue to compete to secure supply to both protect their market share & livelihood of their workforce, the price of steel will continue to spiral upwards & out of control."

True to form the DTI and our wonderful government since that time decided that there was more important things than UK industry and took no action.

Prices increased by around 75%.

The situation is not expected to improve before the 3rd quarter of 2005.

Steel increased in price by 3% last month.

Remember this increase is reflected in all products involving steel, even the prices of mattresses increased.

We absorbed the increase on existing contracts and obviously have increased the prices in line with the increases in steel prices since then.

Due to the shortage/price quite a few builders have been forced to use steel of lets say "less specific origin" or modify their production methods to use less expensive methods.

If you have taken delivery of a hull recently have a look how thick the swim plate is, if the base plate is 10mm it should be too. Is it?

Gary

Gary,

Can't quite work out how you raise the plates to get them level for welding.

Presumerably, the girders act as a jig/level and the plates are raised to the level of the bottom of the girder (no gaps).

How does the horseshoe/wedge idea work ?

Best Regards

Mark

NB Willawaw

Oxford

Still not a lot to look at but the base plate is down and ready for welding plus I have added a few more bits to the site.

Gary

Gary,

Can't quite work out how you raise the plates to get them level for welding.

Presumerably, the girders act as a jig/level and the plates are raised to the level of the bottom of the girder (no gaps).

How does the horseshoe/wedge idea work ?

Best Regards

Mark

NB Willawaw

Oxford

The horseshoe is tacked to the plate to be lifted straddling the girder which is tacked to the other plate. A steel wedge is then driven into the gap between the top of the girder and internal top edge of the horseshoe lifting the baseplate edge the horseshoe is tacked onto. The plates are then tacked together and the procedure repeated.

This procedure levels the plates for welding when welded the plate its self will normally sit relatively flat due to its weight and the floor being quite true, if it does need any further levelling it can be packed or braced to true it up.

Hope that explains it.

Gary

Edited by Gary Peacock

Thanks Gary. Understood.

Mark

The horseshoe is tacked to the plate to be lifted straddling the girder which is tacked to the other plate. A steel wedge is then driven into the gap between the top of the girder and internal top edge of the horseshoe lifting the baseplate edge the horseshoe is tacked onto. The plates are then tacked together and the procedure repeated.

This procedure levels the plates for welding when welded the plate its self will normally sit relatively flat due to its weight and the floor being quite true, if it does need any further levelling it can be packed or braced to true it up.

Hope that explains it.

Gary

New pictures posted.

The base plate is now fully welded that's 90 man hours if you're interested in production costs.

We only work a four day week so the sides will be started on Monday.

(Or I should say the staff do we work seven.)

Gary

Edited by Gary Peacock

Your having (very) small chines - is this because of the width of baseplate available?

Gary

We normally chine it down to a 10' two section base plate this is by far the cheapest option.

But because buyers are demanding more usable space (Far more than available on a true Dutch Barge) we have agreed to increase the base plate dimensions to 11' 6". This is the maximum affordable possible size from standard steel stock although it necessitates a six piece base plate. To achieve even less chine as per our 10' boats with nearly vertical sides we would need to waste a large amount of plate to gain a further 6 or so inches.

This boat was chined down to 10' from 13'6"

Chine.jpg

I have uploaded a site to follow the build of 57' x 12'6" barge here:-

I will post more pictures into the galleries as the build progresses.

Feel free to use this thread to post any question/suggestion or requests for more detailed picture, the site links back in to this thread to allow you to move between the forum and site.

The site is a bit basic at the moment but I can tailor it to suit the kind of feedback you give.

Gary

One question.... why do most builders use MMA for the bottom plate butt joins, and not MIG it ?

One question.... why do most builders use MMA for the bottom plate butt joins, and not MIG it ?

While you explain could you also explain the difference and why one is better than the other if so.

Another way of asking what does it all mean. All I know about welding is you gets lots of flashes and it hurts your eyes if you look without protection.

This sums me up Weak-Link.gif

We do the root welds in MIG and the capping with stick on the base plate.

My knowledge of welding is little but the old wives tale was that MIG is porous and should not be used below the waterline.

Our welders views on this is somewhat different but this view of stick below and MIG above seems to be ingrained in canal culture and so rather ridiculously since it costs more we carry on.

I don't know where this view originated from but various odd requests crop up commonly another favourite is "Can you Waxoyl the inside of the hull?" I guess this is mentioned in some ancient how to build a boat book so maybe the welding thing is also.

Gary

another favourite is "Can you Waxoyl the inside of the hull?"

Gary

Gary

I have only been planning my boat for approxiamately four years and I read about Waxoyling the cabin bilge. I can not now think where it was but it was not an ancient book.

By the way you wrote this I take it is not a good or necessary idea, thank you, I will not now look a fool and ask for it. MSN-Blush.gif

Guest st170dw

I don't know where this view originated from but various odd requests crop up commonly another favourite is "Can you Waxoyl the inside of the hull?" I guess this is mentioned in some ancient how to build a boat book so maybe the welding thing is also.

Waxoyling the bilges was suggested in the Waterways World publication "the Narrowboat Builder's Book" from the 1980's.

It was a series of 10 articles in WW written by Chris Lloys and Andy Burnett. The articles followed the building and fitting out of the narrowboat Kottingham.

Edited by st170dw

Thanks for the clue.

Have now found it in "The Inland boat Owners Book" 3rd edition by Graham Booth. Published in 2000.

This book was based on the Waterways magazine articles.

Gary your thoughts would be appreciated thanks.

Guest st170dw
Thanks for the clue.

Have now found it in "The Inland boat Owners Book" 3rd edition by Graham Booth. Published in 2000.

This book was based on the Waterways magazine articles.

Gary your thoughts would be appreciated thanks.

I was not aware that it was repeated then. I have the original from Waterways world when we were planning our first boat! We finally bought a second hand boat in December 2004!

Dave

I still have that complete series of articles, I still think it is by far the best so far. It is packed full of very original ideas that look as good today as they did 20 odd years ago.

The narrowboat Builder's Book

Chapter 1. July '84.............. Chapter 10. April '85

If anyone want referances to it or whatever...... Let me know.

Edited by John Orentas

Bl##dy h#ll

Do your guys get danger money.

Working so close to cables and chains under tension like that.

Glad I'm not a boat builder but this insight into the work makes me realise why they are the price they are.

I would make sure I took steps to make it as safe as possible. (Bl##dy great big ones out of the 'shop.)

Bl##dy h#ll

Do your guys get danger money.

Working so close to cables and chains under tension like that.

Glad I'm not a boat builder but this insight into the work makes me realise why they are the price they are.

I would make sure I took steps to make it as safe as possible. (Bl##dy great big ones out of the 'shop.)

If you new how much insurance we have to pay you would be able to see why boats are so expensive. (We are classed higher risks than the construction industry and because we actually do work on water it's greater still.)

If you wanted to witness some really scary health and safety issues try military engineering it's scary to this day but when the military operated under crown immunity it was none existent!