Rochdale Canal

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, Jenwil said:

I did the hnc in August last year and was quite miffed athow much disrepair it’s in, lovely scenery but in some places a mess, a bit like the trains really the money gets spent ‘down there’

The Marple locks are closed as I’m on an overstay permit because of it, strange being the only boat towpath side for miles.

Which bits of the HNC do you think 'a mess'?  The canal has been greatly improved over the years - it was the 'wild west' of the waterways for several years after the restoration, and very difficult especially to singlehand, but when I last went over in 2016 I had very few problems (I went south by the Trent in 2017).  So unless it went seriously bad in a year I just don't recognise what you are saying.   Of course it will never be like the busy narrow canals in the Midlands, but as long as you are resourceful and can cope with no lock landings and empty pounds there shouldn't be any problem.

Edited to say that I'm also caught by the Marple Locks closure, on the top side.  I must say I never thought about an 'overstay permit' - I took a winter mooring.  Are you still on the HNC, then?

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

On 1/3/2018 at 17:19, Mac of Cygnet said:

Both Sowerby Bridge and Huddersfield have plenty of pubs, but if you want a good local pub about half way, I can recommend the White Cross near the junction of the Calder & Hebble with the Huddersfield.  Good mooring between Lock 1 & 2 of the Huddersfield Broad. Excellent beer and a good welcome, but I don't know about the 6 nations - don't watch such impenetrable and barbaric activities.

White Cross seconded, lovely pub, friendly bar staff who know their beer. I'm pretty sure they had a big TV but it was either off when we were there or turned down so we didn't notice it. Moor above Lock 1 just round the bend, you can get right in to the (fairly knackered) bank here and it's nice and quiet.

Edited by IanD