Seeking a boat plumber/electrician - W.London

devongirl76

Featured Posts

As per my previous post our calorifier has developed a leak and is no longer functional so we need to replace it. At the same time we are looking to install an immersion on the calorifier (now we are on 240v powered moorings) so need the electric loop put in to do this. And whilst we are there we would also like our bathroom radiator moved and replaced and a new thermostatic valve put on our bedroom radiator (as the old one is broken)

I can source all the bits to do this but at the moment trying to find someone to actually do the work is proving to be nigh on impossible! Either it is too far out for the London-based people, people are not returning calls, their online info is out of date, one has promised to turn up to look for 2 weeks and still hasn't, or they don't like the people we rent our mooring off so wont come and do the work!!! 

We have now been without any water for 2.5 weeks and I am beginning to tire of the strip washes/ going to the gym for a shower and filling up water bottles every day from the outside tap..... so please can anyone help me find someone reliable? 

We are based near Staines and are on moorings that have 240v power. I don't have time to try and learn how to do it myself (and frankly electrics scare me) or carry out the work as I work full time so I need someone to come and fix this. I am getting to wits end if I am honest. 

That sounds a right scrappy load of work all listed together, and quite intimidating to someone who is either a plumber or an electrician. Few people are both. 

My suggestion is look for someone just to replace the calorifier. Then once they are fitting you a new calorifier (with immersion) and if you are happy with their work, ask for a 'while you're here' job of moving the rad and fitting the TRV. Emply an electrician to install the immersion heater wiring separately. 

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

That sounds a right scrappy load of work all listed together, and quite intimidating to someone who is either a plumber or an electrician. Few people are both. 

My suggestion is look for someone just to replace the calorifier. Then once they are fitting you a new calorifier (with immersion) and if you are happy with their work, ask for a 'while you're here' job of moving the rad and fitting the TRV. Emply an electrician to install the immersion heater wiring separately. 

Hmmm. I assumed that whilst the system was drained down extending some hep plumbing to plumb in a new rad (not moving far!) and replacing the valve would be quickish jobs and the easy part.

I do see what you are saying about the immersion loop though.

8 minutes ago, devongirl76 said:

Hmmm. I assumed that whilst the system was drained down extending some hep plumbing to plumb in a new rad (not moving far!) and replacing the valve would be quickish jobs and the easy part.

You could well be right, but moving a rad can be quick and easy, or a total ball-ache (technical term) and any plumber you contact will have no idea which when he sees this on your list. Swaping a calorifier is probably a day's work and adding in the other bits changes it into two days, possibly, and punters often attach little value to these extra bits that take up just as much time. I'd be far more inclined to get back to someone asking for a neat, well defined job like a calorifier change and nothing else. Had I been a plumber that is ;)

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

Do not refit a TRV. Install a manual valve instead. The Webasto or Eberspacher heater installers actually recommend manual rather then TRV

We have a manual valve on one side and TRV's on the other end of all our rads that work fine with our Ebespacher. The one in the bedroom is broken and so the rad is either off or on full! So it is just a replacement I need.... unless I am misinterpreting what a TRV is...... steep learning curve going on here!

Edited by devongirl76

50 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You could well be right, but moving a rad can be quick and easy, or a total ball-ache (technical term) and any plumber you contact will have no idea which when he sees this on your list. Swaping a calorifier is probably a day's work and adding in the other bits changes it into two days, possibly, and punters often attach little value to these extra bits that take up just as much time. I'd be far more inclined to get back to someone asking for a neat, well defined job like a calorifier change and nothing else. Had I been a plumber that is ;)

Ok. I see your point (and as a plumber I assume you know what you are suggesting). 

Just seems silly not to get it all done at once so the system doesn't need to be drained twice and I am paying for another day's work anyway if I have to get someone back again. I work in practice management / accounts so maybe I am missing the logic behind just getting half a job done when I am prepared to pay for all of it to be done. I assume it is merely a suggestion of packaging my job prettily and then springing the 'whilst you are here' bits on them when they arrive?

9 minutes ago, devongirl76 said:

Ok. I see your point (and as a plumber I assume you know what you are suggesting). 

Just seems silly not to get it all done at once so the system doesn't need to be drained twice and I am paying for another day's work anyway if I have to get someone back again. I work in practice management / accounts so maybe I am missing the logic behind just getting half a job done when I am prepared to pay for all of it to be done. I assume it is merely a suggestion of packaging my job prettily and then springing the 'whilst you are here' bits on them when they arrive?

Yep I think that sums it up! This time of year everyone who is any good in my trade is overwhelmed with calls and has reams of potential customers all competing for their time.

Anything you can do to make your job appear more attractive, the better.

Just now, rusty69 said:

I wondered why you're on here Mike:giggles:

Calling back 19 messages received over the weekend has taken up most of the day!! And feck moi, NO-ONE is home right now for my to go and fix their stuff right now. Sometimes the cards fall against me.

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Calling back 19 messages received over the weekend has taken up most of the day!! And feck moi, NO-ONE is home right now for my to go and fix their stuff right now. Sometimes the cards fall against me.

I'll let you know when my ageing glowworm boiler packs up, and you can fix that if you like:)