Single-Handed up The Stort

Chris J W

Featured Posts

Whilst chatting to a couple whose boat was going back in the water as mine was coming out for her survey, I mentioned that one of my first 'long' trips will be to Bishop Stortford. They reckoned it couldn't be done, or would be damn hard at least, to do single-handed as many of the locks are 'impossible' (their word) to do alone.

Opinions/Experiences anyone?

Whilst chatting to a couple whose boat was going back in the water as mine was coming out for her survey, I mentioned that one of my first 'long' trips will be to Bishop Stortford. They reckoned it couldn't be done, or would be damn hard at least, to do single-handed as many of the locks are 'impossible' (their word) to do alone.

Opinions/Experiences anyone?

ha ha 'it cant be done?' Although I've done it with friends, I've also done it twice single handed and I know a number of boaters who do it single handed too - just spoke to one boater the other day and he had a great time up the Stort.

If you can do the Lee Navigation single handed then I dont see why not the Stort. There arent any tricky locks or tricky bits. However, the many sharp bends are where you need to watch out for other boats suddenly appearing from nowhere (such as on the continously twisting section between Latton and Harlow Mill) but I think the twists and turns are great fun especially.

Fair enough. So no locks that could be a "pain" for the single hander - they mentioned something about locks not having walkways across them? Seriously, as a newbie single-hander, should I be worried about this?

Fair enough. So no locks that could be a "pain" for the single hander - they mentioned something about locks not having walkways across them? Seriously, as a newbie single-hander, should I be worried about this?

I can't see why it would be a problem. It's not always necessary to cross the lock anyway (I often can't be bothered), and you can always use the boat or gates.

Take everything at your own pace, be careful and you'll be okay.

I'd say in the London area, the Stort is probably the easiest, that's why we are going back next weekend. The locks on the Stort are mostly quite dinky, we were joking and calling them 'barbie doll locks' last time we were there.

Take a gang plank, sometimes, in some places, it can be hard to find a place to moor if your boat is longer, it is a narrow and winding river.

Some of the winding gear is out of action, so you can wait a while for the locks to fill, but compared to say, some of the locks on the Hertford Union and in Camden, I wouldn't say they are hard work!

sheering mill lock can be a pig (empties quicker than it fills).

Other than this its easy single handed.

That will change according to this stoppage notice:

River Stort

Sheering Mill Lock

Date: 17/07/2007 until 19/07/2007

Description:

Emergency repairs to badly leaking bottom gates.

Work is to be carried out from 7am - 10pm daily.

No passage during these 3 days will be possible.

The lock chamber will be dammed top and bottom and pumped dry to effect

temporary repair.

That will change according to this stoppage notice:

River Stort

Sheering Mill Lock

Date: 17/07/2007 until 19/07/2007

Description:

Emergency repairs to badly leaking bottom gates.

Work is to be carried out from 7am - 10pm daily.

No passage during these 3 days will be possible.

The lock chamber will be dammed top and bottom and pumped dry to effect

temporary repair.

Ta for that one! Shouldn't be too much of a timing problem, but forewarned, and all that ...

Thanks, Folks! I'll let you all know how it goes in a few weeks.

I moor on the Stort at Roydon Mill and It really isn't a problem. In fact its quite good fun.

Sheering Mill Lock is under repair at the moment, leaks like a sieve, but its only down for a couple of days.

In my younger days (19th century), I used do it single handed with a 70ft Josher almost on a daily basis, the josher being a trip boat. It's all down to having a system. Mind you, it was easier in those days because PC's weren't invented, that alone the interthingy, mobile phones, accountants running BW etc. :)

Edited by rallyfan