BCS bow thruster problems

Big Chris

Featured Posts

Question 1 - Electric or hydraulic. BCS (Twin disk) make both. I suspect electric.

I would hope an electric bow thruster would be fitted with a thermal cut-out to prevent damage by idiot who use them to steer so the cutting out could be overheating. This might be caused by excessive use or perhaps more likely low battery voltage. Low battery voltage could cause contact pitting, see below.

The staying on is more difficult. It could be contactor contacts sticking because of pitting, especially if it is only related to one direction. Then there is the actual operating switch/switches and even a problem in an electronic control unit if BCS uses one.

Tony, many thanks.

I confirm the thruster is electric.  It has misbehaved almost from new and now has become a pain. I will investigate the items raised. Excessive use is not my main problem as I only use it for up to ten seconds at a time.

Should I decide to replace it, could I fit another make of motor directly to the drive shaft or has the whole lot to be replaced?

I have never been entirely happy with this thruster.

Regards

Chris

No idea. My "bow thruster" lives on the roof and I can use spring lines when required.

I suspect you may have to replace the lot but this sounds like an electrical fault to me that should be solvable. For instance the contactor contacts can be de-pitted with a diamond contact cleaner Actually I would only remove the hump, not the pit. When its running when "turned off" see if you have voltage on the THIN wires going to the contactor. If not the contacts are stuck. If you do suspect the operating switch initially.

With the motor running measure the voltage on the THICK cables that run from contactor to motor and report back.