Ready, steady......

Lesd

Featured Posts

End week 13 update.

Richard has been working on the intrnal fit out and the plumbing this week, he's fitted all of the ash hardwood window surrounds to match the cabin line out (they obviously need the 3 coats of oil to blend in!).

He's also fitted all of the radiators throughout the boat;

zzzz10windowframe.rad.jpg

The calorifier which is located under the cruiser stern deck;

zzzz7.calor.jpg

The Webasto deisel boiler, also fitted under the cruiser stern deck;

zzzz8.webasto.jpg

Finally's he's installed the 90cm quadrant shower enclosure, not sure if we'll tile the shower walls or use that one piece sheeting system. There is plenty of room for a full size shower, we have 6'9'' headroom at the centre of the boat;

zzzz9.shower.jpg

Les

Edited by Lesd

The calorifier which is located under the cruiser stern deck;

zzzz7.calor.jpg

That's the best place for it. Mine is under the drainer of my kitchen sink at the stern end which from a leakage scenario isn't ideal. Although I remember having to open the pressure release valve at the top of the calorifier when I wanted to empty it to install an immersion heater because of the vacuum. So actually it's probably no more of an issue than a leak from any other part of the freshwater system.

The only thing I would say about that installation Les (and I hope you don't mind me saying this), is that if I am looking at this picture right they seem to have put holes through your watertight bulkhead quite low down. Personally I think it should have no penetrations through this bulkhead lower than 18" high (or lower than the height of the counter).

I know a lot of builders put pipes and cables through at about 6" - 12" high, but I can't see the point of making a watertight bulkhead if you're then going to put holes through it, and I can't see any reason those pipes couldn't have gone through higher up? Ok, the chances are that if the bilge pump works you'd never get more than an inch of water below the stern gland, but as a congenital pessimist I always think worst case scenario.

A friend of mine fitting out a his first boat put the pipes from the calorifier through right at the bottom! When I commented on the fact that he'd compromised the watertight integrity of the boat he shook his head & asked why I hadn't told him beforehand? Well I'm not a bleedin' mindreader!

Anyway, it's wasn't that difficult for him to rectify. Plastic push-fit plumbing is easy to modify and he welded a plate over the holes. I think I would have just stuck a plate on with a good PU sealant.

Edited by blackrose

Hi Mike,

I have no problems with your comments at all, part of the reason for doing the blog was to learn from peoples experience as we move along ith the build so I'll investigate this when I'm up there next weekend. The pipes are through the bulkhead beteen engine bay and the main cabin, its hard to see how low they are from the photo but it obviously lower tht the counter. I wonder if the pipework could be sealed in place rather than moving them ?

Les

Edited by Lesd

Hi Mike,

I have no problems with your comments at all, part of the reason for doing the blog was to learn from peoples experience as we move along ith the build so I'll investigate this when I'm up there next weekend. The pipes are through the bulkhead beteen engine bay and the main cabin, its hard to see how low they are from the photo but it obviously lower tht the counter. I wonder if the pipework could be sealed in place rather than moving them ?

Les

Yes, that's another option, you could just pump the holes full with PU sealant (or Plumba Flu high temp silicone?) and smear some sealant around the holes to seal the rim of the conduit to the bulkhead. Get some other opinions first (besides mine & the builder's) - you might find I'm worrying you unduly!

Edited by blackrose

• 2 weeks later...

No we're still at it Mike !

We were up there over the weekend again carrying on with the Danish oiling. We managed to 'flatten down' all of the woodwork throughout the boat and apply the last coat of oil. All that remains on that side of things are last few items of fitted furniture (guest bed wardrobe, TV/bookcase in salon), these are due to be installed this coming week.

Last week Ricahard completed the engine installation and is midway through the 12v system wiring. It was really nice to fire up the motor, it seemed like a real milestone somehow, I as impressed with how quiet it ran (hospital silencer). While we were there we laid out the solar panels and wind gen and they should be installed this week too. A few items are held up in the post strike (including our smartguage/smartbank lol !!).

The boat is due to be completed at the end of the month, there is much to do, but everyone seems confident they can do it, we'll see !

Unfortunately our camera went a bit wobbley on Sunday and all of the engine room photo's I took to post here are blurred. I'll have some new ones to post next weekend hopefully.

Les

Week 16. Update

I was on site on Saturday putting some cables between the engine compartment and electric cupboard for the solar panels and wind gen (16mm tri rated) so took some more pictures of recent progress;

The engine (Shire 65) is now installed;

zzzz11engine-1.jpg

The battery installation is a little cramped which is mainly due to the hatch not really being as wide as I would have liked, Richard has cabled the batteries with much of the cabling down the near side, its not as neat to look at that way but it will give us a little more room to get in and top up the batteries. You can also see the Smartbank relays installed behind the battery bank;

zzzz13batts.jpg

The electric cupboard in not quite finished but you can see Richard uses a 32 way car type fuse panel for the DC ditribution side rather than breaker panels. The AC board contain RCD and breakers for the ring main and immersion heater plus mains on and reverse polarity warning lamps. I changed the spec to include a Victron comi unit quite late on (should make Steve smile!). We have housed the ind turbine and solar panel controllers here (top left);

zzzz14elec.jpg

On the furniture side of things we now have to double wardrobes fitted in our cabin and fold down bedside tables;

zzzz16wardrobes.jpg

We have the Morso squirrel in place and the TV stand next to it in the salon, its a little further away from the fire tht the picture suggests. The surround will be tiled in slate next week;

zzzz15squirrel.jpg

Thats it for now, we're due to be finished in 2-3 weeks now, very excited !

Edited by Lesd

Week 16. Update

I was on site on Saturday putting some cables between the engine compartment and electric cupboard for the solar panels and wind gen (16mm tri rated) so took some more pictures of recent progress;

The engine (Shire 65) I now installed;

zzzz11engine-1.jpg

Well, for someone who's never done it before it looks like you've done a top engine installation Les! :cheers:

We have the Morso squirrel in place and the TV stand next to it in the salon, its a little further away from the fire tht the picture suggests. The surround will be tiled in slate next week;

zzzz15squirrel.jpg

Don't forget the Masterboard, Asbestolux, or other heat resistant board behind the tiles, under the gunwhale, etc. (Uxbridge does Masterboard.)

Week 17 update.

Just back from a flying visit so here are a few pics;

The instramentation is installed now. At the top (out of shot here) is a carbon monoxide detector/alarm, next a LPG detector alarm (the sensor is in the cupboard belo the cooker),next the Webasto timer control, then the Adverc ampmeter/volt meter, next the smartguage, lastly the Victron remote panel. Im hoping this will give me the funcionality to be fully aware of the whole charging and power systems (the adverc meters ere abonus, I only asked for a single nett amp meter and got the multi function system instead);

zzzz25instraments.jpg

Bow thruster installation is complete, Lambon build in a weedhatch for maintencnce and also fabricate hinged grills over the tube enterances. The isolation switch is outside of the picture. I nelieve its fed with 50 or 60mm cable from the charging system at the stern;

zzzz26bowprop.jpg

The water sytem is virtually installed now and will be completed and commissioned next week. Here the main water pump housed under the bedroom steps;

zzzz23waterpump.jpg

Tiling started today in the bathroom, shower and Kitchen. Grouting will be completed on Monday.

Here the kitchen;

zzzzkitchentiles.jpg

Thats it for now, we'll be back up there next weekend when we expect the boat to be very nearly complete. A week after that has been allocated for snagging. So maybe to or three weeks to go !

Les

Edited by Lesd

• 2 weeks later...

We spent the weekend on site again, lots of job completed this week by Richard and the guys. We spent most of the weekend varnishing the front door and steps, the rear steps and cupboards and the cruiser stern deck rail, also ran in the cabling from the controllers to the solar panels and wind gen. Unfortunatly we forgot the camera so no more pics now until next weekend when the boat should be just about finished ready for launching the following Tuesday.

Oh and we named her at last, ''Blue Pearl''

Les+Heidi

Edited by Lesd

Hi LesI don't get one thing. As the boat is being fitted out for you, why are you doing stuff yourself?regardsSteve
Hi Steve,Its very simple mate, to save a few thousand pounds (quite a few actually). We've done the 'finishing' which really means the sanding, oiling/varnishing of all of the woodwork, we've also supplied the tiler and tiles (trade prices). The woodwork finishing alone saved more than a man month, quite a chunk of cash at boat builders rates. Im not a carpenter but we are capable of sanding and oiling etc. I've also supplied and fitted the solar panels and windgen, again saving quite a lot of money on what our builder quoted. We're lucky in that we have had the time available and also that our builder is happy to build the boat in a flexible way like this. I doubt we could have afforded it if fully fitted, we'd have had to go for a part fit and finish over a period of time (after delivery) which would have been much harder.

RgdsLes

its nice you can lunch on Tuesday - when's the launch? :P
Cheeky bugger ! :D:argue: Edited by Lesd

Last minute delays.....

Delivery has been delayed until next Friday due to a faulty Victron Combi Inverter. The unit was installed about 3 weeks ago and seemed to be performing well, that was until yesterday when it went down completely. Richard has been on the phone to Victron but was unable to find the problem so Victron are sending an enginer out on site either today or on Monday to resolve the issue. As we were due to ship the boat on Tues morning nobody felt there was sufficient time to be sue that everything would be fixed so the craines and transport have been rebooked for Friday instead. Its a bit of a disappoitment at this late stage but, hey ho, we want the boat right hen it does arrive so its a sensible decision.

Im off to Kidderminster on Sat so will post a few pics when I get back.

Les

Just back from a flying visit to Lambon. The previouly mentioned victron problem could not be resolved when their engineer came to site, so the complete unit was swapped out and faulty unit taken back to their lab to find out what happened. Fingers crossed the new one lasts a little longer ! :blink:

So, the boat is virtually complete, shipping is booked for this coming Friday. The sign writing has been completed this week as have the coach lines, we're relly pleased with both;

zzzz27paint.jpg

zzzz28paint.jpg

zzzz29coach.jpg

The stern dodger cover and gates have been fitted and the varnishing completed, Wilson's did the dodger, here are a couple of views of the stern, our 'patio' <_<

zzzz30dodger.jpg

zzzz32patio.jpg

The internl fit out is also complete apart from the chimney guard, here's the completed kitchen;

zzzz32litchen.jpg

and the saloon;

zzzz34saloon.jpg

and a couple of shots of the shower / toilet room;

zzzz35bathroom.jpg

zzzz36shower.jpg

Next update will be after the launch next Friday, I'm not sure if Im excited or nervous but I know I'll have my eyes shut when this thing is hanging off the crain next Friday so wish us luck !!

Les

Edited by Lesd

Looking good Les. I like those coachlines and you've got some quality windows there.

What is that thing around the flue on your stove? Some sort of water jacket?

Don't forget to take some pics of the launch - even though you'll be cringing as she swings in the air.

I'm looking forward to seeing this boat on Saturday.

Mike

Thanks Mike, we're really pleased with how the boat has come together. The 'thing' on the chimney stack is a stainless guard, its a bit of a 'Daddy's Boat's' feature really, Richard likes to have a few unusual touches and we thought it would look nice. I'll post a decent photo once its complete.

See you Sat,

Les

Blue Pearl was loaded onto the truck this afternoon ready for the long trip south, she'll be launched tomorrow late morning. Now I really am getting nervous, I'll try to post some pics of the launch tomorrow evening !

here she is being loaded;

zzzz38loading.jpg

zzzz37loading.jpg

Les

Week 17 update.

Just back from a flying visit so here are a few pics;

The instramentation is installed now. At the top (out of shot here) is a carbon monoxide detector/alarm, next a LPG detector alarm (the sensor is in the cupboard belo the cooker),next the Webasto timer control, then the Adverc ampmeter/volt meter, next the smartguage, lastly the Victron remote panel. Im hoping this will give me the funcionality to be fully aware of the whole charging and power systems (the adverc meters ere abonus, I only asked for a single nett amp meter and got the multi function system instead);

zzzz25instraments.jpg

Bow thruster installation is complete, Lambon build in a weedhatch for maintencnce and also fabricate hinged grills over the tube enterances. The isolation switch is outside of the picture. I nelieve its fed with 50 or 60mm cable from the charging system at the stern;

zzzz26bowprop.jpg

The water sytem is virtually installed now and will be completed and commissioned next week. Here the main water pump housed under the bedroom steps;

zzzz23waterpump.jpg

Tiling started today in the bathroom, shower and Kitchen. Grouting will be completed on Monday.

Here the kitchen;

zzzzkitchentiles.jpg

Thats it for now, we'll be back up there next weekend when we expect the boat to be very nearly complete. A week after that has been allocated for snagging. So maybe to or three weeks to go !

Les

Hi Les

Noticed in one of the photos of your water pump that the water strainer is on the outlet side of the pump and not the inlet (assuming the pump is a flojet) as recommended by the said company.Any particular reason for this or does it not matter which side is filtered ?

Well she launched succesfully on Friday, it was one of the more nerve tingling events I been through but I managed to stay calm enough to take a few photo's. To see her afloat after all this time was a real joy. There was one small issue though, when the boat settled in the water she was riding high at both bow and stern, the guys installed the trim balast they had bought with them but it was nowhere near enough. So after all the handover checks etc were completed they departed and returned the next day with 1.5 tons of 15mm steel plate (off cuts from dutch barge base plate) and balasted her down. Much much better at the stern,nomore cavitation but she still seems perhapsa little high at the bows. I agreed to try her with full tanks and to run the water tank down over a few days to gauge how much lower she needs to go, at that point they will come back with more steel plate. So we're now in the process of moving stuff aboad and fitting curtains etc..all good fun !

Unfortunately we only have a gprs connection where we are moored so I cant upload the pics I took of the launch, but I'll finsish this thread off I'll be uploading them from a land line ADSL link later this week.

Les+ Heidi (boaters at last)

:wub::):D:wub::)

Edited by Lesd

OK to conclude this thread, here are the launch pictures;

Im surprised these aren't a little blurred as my knees were knocking !

zzzz41launch.jpg

zzzz42launch.jpg

and finally afloat !!!!

zzzz46launch.jpg

Off upto her first lock;

zzzz48firstlock.jpg

and after an hours cruise tied up at her first mooring;

zzzz49nightonemooring.jpg

Les

:wub:

Edited by Lesd