24v system

Featured Posts

I am mulling over the electrical system and given that I want to put at least 1kw of solar on the roof and the distance between the battery bank and some of the consumers (bulbs,pumps etc) I am thinking of a 24v system with 24 12 droppers close to the consumers. I see some advantages in that I can use a smaller solar controller, less voltage drop, option of 24v pumps.  Main disadvantage needing a 24v second alternator on the engine.  Does anyone run such a system?  What do you think?

phil

1 hour ago, Bromleyxphil said:

I am mulling over the electrical system and given that I want to put at least 1kw of solar on the roof and the distance between the battery bank and some of the consumers (bulbs,pumps etc) I am thinking of a 24v system with 24 12 droppers close to the consumers. I see some advantages in that I can use a smaller solar controller, less voltage drop, option of 24v pumps.  Main disadvantage needing a 24v second alternator on the engine.  Does anyone run such a system?  What do you think?

phil

That's an advantage not a disadvantage -

24v alternators can be-

• Less bulky for a give size
  • designed for continuous running
  • more reliable
  • cheaper per watt output

My setup has 12v engine alternator and 2 x 24v domestic alternators. Has worked well for over 20 years.

That is what I have and the only domestic item I have requiring 12 volts is a couple of car radios. The engine electrics are still 12 volt and things like the horn and tunnel light is fed from that. The inverter is a 24/1500 so only requires half the current. All lighting is LED and these are something like 10-30 volt rating. I have 4 X T105 6 volt batteries in series. Charging current is only half what 12 volt would be as well.

I use a 12 volt relay on the 12 volt charge system to energise the 24 volt alternator when the engine is started.