Holiday - one week

saltyseadog

Featured Posts

B) I have a week at the end of July - can't decide which would be the better route out of the following.

Shroppie, Oxfordshire (South of Napton) or Worcester & Staffs.

Any of you have experience of holidaying on the above?

Must have lots of pubs, beautiful scenery, locks not a problem, sleepy villages & no scousers (only joking with the last one).

At the moment I have a choice between valley cruises, napton canal boats & alvechurch boats - all good I think!

I would appreciate you're comments, thanks!

Before I got my boat and the Kennet and Avon became my favourite canal

had holidays on the Shroppie.

hired from Norbury Wharf narrowboats...very very nice boats and very very reasonable prices..

also nice people to deal with...Northwards from Norbury is beautiful..you can get to chester in a week from there..

Let us know what you choose and how you get on B)

Here is a link for the Norbury hire boats

Norbury Wharf Narrowboats

• 2 weeks later...

Yes there were some trees over, I came through there on Sunday, it was tight but you could still get through. Of course it may have got worse and BW are probably clearing it, but it shouldnt take them long.

Slightly off topic but why didnt BW see that coming? They cut all the trees about three years ago so severly they died, its the tree roots that hold the bank together, its very steep there, and now the trees that are left are falling down. Also there are numerous landslides there, where the bank is washed away by the rain. Very poor management of that very beautiful cutting I would say.

Shropshire Union is currently subject to a stoppage until further notice by fallen trees at the Woodeves cutting near Market Drayton

Trees down, that reminds me of our trip down the SU in Feb. Came round a bend and was confronted with this little lot !

blocked1.jpg

and 24 hrs later when we finally managed to squeeze underneith !!

awayatlast.jpg

Les

Shropshire Union is currently subject to a stoppage until further notice by fallen trees at the Woodeves cutting near Market Drayton

Waterscrape currently says: "Stoppage: Woodseaves Cutting - Canal open, towpath remains closed"

Allan

We went down the Oxford in May

It is lovely but quite tight in places, also not very many villages - so slightly short on pubs - but beautifull scenery.

I have heard that it can get a bit busy further into the season tho.

Sue

Edited by AjaxKM