perkins 4107 waterpump

Featured Posts

My water pump is leaking and has been for a while now, it is dripping midway where the spindle go's through to the impeller, new seals are readily available for this but will I have to remove the whole unit to overhaul or are the seals accessible by removing the brass cover on the front and removing the impeller. The pump is a jabsco .

Any advice appreciated.

20170714_104859.jpg

I think yes, but probably not worth the effort. Take the impeller out, undo the screw retaining the cam and take the cam out. Its on the opposite side to the hoses.

This bit may be difficult with it in situ - I always take them off (see below).

Take the wear plate out from below the impeller and that will expose the seal.

Now hook the seal out.

Wrap the splines on the shaft it tape to protect the new seal. Slide the new seal over the shaft - open face towards the impeller.

Using a suitably dimensioned hollow drift tap the new seal into the bod dead square.

Best of luck - too much faffing about for the sake of 4 nuts. The cam may well be stuck in place with sealer. Its far easier to get the wear plate out by banging the face of the pump down on a piece of wood.

If you take the pump off you can inspect the shaft for wear where the seal runs. If the shaft is worn or if the bearing has play in it the replacement seal may not last long before its starts leaking again.

Cheers for that Tony,  I may have a go with the pump in situ as I can remove the steps in front of the engine which will give me full access from the front. If it looks like it could get tricky then I can always take it off.

If the pump is removed is realigning a problem or is it straight forward.

Edited by Rickent
missing word.

4 hours ago, PhilAtterley said:

Yes, there's a good marine engineer not very far from where you are at Barrow who would be able to help you - very familiar with the 4-107/4-108 Perkins - you can contact him on 07553 294325.

Cheers Phil , gave him a call and he was very helpful indeed.

Thanks for that.

5 hours ago, Rickent said:

Cheers for that Tony,  I may have a go with the pump in situ as I can remove the steps in front of the engine which will give me full access from the front. If it looks like it could get tricky then I can always take it off.

If the pump is removed is realigning a problem or is it straight forward.

Can't remember. I think its a spline or dog drive so easy.

Yes Tony, refitting is straight forward I believe, an alignment tool is only needed if the main shaft is removed from the pump during a refurb to ensure it goes back in correctly. Thanks for the replies much appreciated.