Canal De Castille

Derek R.

Featured Posts

A member on another forum posted this. I'd never heard of it before, but the architecture is solid following that of the Canal du Midi. Mostly unavigable now and used for irrigation, though some trip boats operate.

http://www.turismocastillayleon.com/en/art-culture-heritage/great-routes/canal-castilla

Lots of good images (and a few 'mug' shots):

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g676282-d8365126-Reviews-Canal_de_Castilla-Fromista_Province_of_Palencia_Castile_and_Leon.html#photos;geo=676282&detail=8365126&ff=259127857&albumViewMode=hero&aggregationId=101&albumid=101&baseMediaId=259127857&thumbnailMinWidth=50&cnt=30&offset=-1&filter=7

The canal was built between the 1770s and 1790s, and was used for irrigation, water power and navigation. The navigation part was to create a link over the mountains to the Bay of Biscay to the north, and to the Douro to the west, though it was never completed. It had virtually ceased to be used as a navigation by about 1936, though I do have a photo of an old iron boat taken by Roger Lorenz in the 1990s, by which time the canal was being considered for development as a tourist attraction. Last time I did a search in 2012, you can download guides to the canal, though they are in Spanish.

There is also the Canal Imperial d'Aragon, which runs parallel to the River Ebro in eastern Spain.