1/2 Drain Coolant - 2LW

mark99

Featured Posts

Got a hose failing (the little blue hose on the red elbow). Need to drain down to replace - prob only 1/2 way drain. Tips please.

5113dc21-1ddc-46e4-8a62-a86004e12f61_zps

d26bf648-40fe-4f13-9285-86bfb49f40c4_zps

Edited by mark99

Your water pump is plumbed up a little different to mine but when I had to change my water pump I just drained down from the equivalent fixing on the left of the water pump, your blue elbow pipe, and then filled up from the header tank slowly.  After that I then ran the engine a bit and continued to top up.  Not all the air was purged so had to rev the engine a little and then topped up some more.

If you have an isolator in the pipe run to the calorifier shut that off prior to draining the water from the pump connection as that should reduce any air trapped in the circuits but remember to switch back on again once connected up.

• Greenie 1

Ours is also plumbed slightly differently, enabling me to put a tube from a Pela pump through the header tank, down to skin tank level if required, and pump some or all of the coolant out.  I can judge the level by measuring the length of tube inserted. Then I have put a bleed screw, after the thermostat, in the top pipe.  It is then possible to ensure that I put back in all the coolant that was pumped out, without any airlocks.