V-Welds

Featured Posts

After watching one being built and having a go myself. modern welding machines do everything for you not like 25 years ago when you had to determine the speed you traveled etc now the machine sets itself to the speed you are doing and also the distance from the work.

I suspect the skill is the cutting of the steel to shape and size and the aligning of this for the welders to follow on to.

Thats it enough rubbish,

First my qualifications and some jobs

ASME1X and all lesser qualifications down through the American and Lloyds registery.

Exon Oil

Esso Ethylene

Haysham Nuclear Power

Nuclear Systems

Shell Stanlow

Winscale (Sellafield)

etc etc etc

Gary's initial answer was right, he answered what was asked, this and much of the rest of the thread had nothing to do with the question, much of the rest was conjecture, hearsay and Alice in Wonderland, when dealing with the real world. Except Gary I never saw any fabricators get through an ASME test for welding.

Welds can be just good enough to hold two plates together and keep say water out or they can be a homogenous join where by the correct use of filler material and method of welding the weld is stronger than the parent metal.

To achieve this requires training, skill and a natural ability, there are many very good welders who I would be happy to accept work done by them, but not all welders have the hand eye co-ordination to pass welds tested to ASME 1X standards, i.e. absolutly no defect under any test in 100% of the weld. City and Guilds BS test used to allow for example 10mm of slag inclusion in each 100mm of weld, provided no inclusion was larger than 1mm, that would be perfectley acceptable for narrow boat hulls amongst many other applications.

Just to finish, despite the plethora of welding terms bandied about no one mentioned J joint, U joint, Open Butt, Deep Penetration Rods, Stovepiping, Wormholes, Pre-heat, Post-Heat, Low Hydrogen Rods, Inner Shield, etc etc I'm even boring myself now so don't get me onto crap MIG welds (or monkeys can do that after 30 min's training welds)

David

A V weld is commonly used to weld sections of base plate where a surface butt weld would not achieve sufficient penetration.

The edges of the plate are ground to a chamfer when the plates are butted up this forms a V several stick welds are then run down the V to stitch the plate together forming a very strong weld. This also makes it unnecessary to flip the base plate to weld the other side.

Thats in a non welders layman's terms!

Gary

You do need to check for penitration and more often then not weld the under side to eliminate crevice corrosion. As we have had to do on hulls from some boat builders. The main tool used by welders now seem to be mig welders even below the water line. Hense the penertration is some time lacking.

The correct method of formation of a v weld is:-

Grind both plates at 45 degrees

Leavea gap between the plates

Run a root weld in the base of the joint

Run a cap weld over so the the v is completly filled.