We're off...

Sam

Featured Posts

We still havn't got a share in another boat yet... but..

alvechurch emailed saying they needed a boat being moved.. (i guess they email everyone who hires from them?!) so.. we are now going on a weekends cruise from diglis basin to alvechurch next week after my exams :-)

Should be good! :unsure:

We still havn't got a share in another boat yet... but..

alvechurch emailed saying they needed a boat being moved.. (i guess they email everyone who hires from them?!) so.. we are now going on a weekends cruise from diglis basin to alvechurch next week after my exams :-)

Should be good! :unsure:

That's not bad, I may be being thick but do you get a reduced rate for doing them a favour?

(that's my 200th post, it's taken a while!!)

Edited by Stephen Sugg

That's not bad, I may be being thick but do you get a reduced rate for doing them a favour?

yeh i think so!

to cover the fuel and their costs etc.

THey need the boat moved from viking afloats base to alvechurch as that is where it is going out from next! makes sense really for them to do it that way instead of using their own staff!

Hi Sam,

I managed to snap up one of the other two one-way trips which were offered, Alvechurch to Wrenbury. I've always wanted to do a one-wayer as you can get in more mileage.

(Anyone...) I'm planning to spend night 1 in Gas St Basin area, but I'm not sure on how far I can get on Day 2, which way to get to Wolverhampton and where to moor. I understand that there are safe moorings at the top of the Wolverhampton flight but will I make it in a day?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

PS. I've only just found this site, isn't it great?!

(Anyone...) I'm planning to spend night 1 in Gas St Basin area, but I'm not sure on how far I can get on Day 2, which way to get to Wolverhampton and where to moor. I understand that there are safe moorings at the top of the Wolverhampton flight but will I make it in a day?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Hi Dave

Welcome to the forum. If your mooring in Gas Street try to get on the moorings on the right past the Sealife Centre away from the Mailbox. It's quieter and less drunks pass that way so your less likely to be cast adrift. Going to Wolverhampton I'd use the Old Main Line, the new one is dead straight, boring and last time I was up there filthy. You should make the bottom of the twenty one in a day. Have a good trip and don't forget to let us know how it went.

:)

Ken

Edited by KenK

Hi Dave

Welcome to the forum. If your mooring in Gas Street try to get on the moorings on the right past the Sealife Centre away from the Mailbox. It's quieter and less drunks pass that way so your less likely to be cast adrift. Going to Wolverhampton I'd use the Old Main Line, the new one is dead straight, boring and last time I was up there filthy. You should make the bottom of the twenty one in a day. Have a good trip and don't forget to let us know how it went.

;)

Ken

Thanks Ken.

I'm really looking forward to it. It was the Old v New ML question which I was pondering. I'll take the old.

This is my 4th boat trip, all with Alvechurch. A couple of years ago I did the Warks Ring and found the Farmer's Bridge flight especially fascinating. My colleagues look at me very strangely when I say I'm going to Birmingham for a holiday :blink: I do worry about keeping safe, i.e. away from yobs, but I think its worth the experience.

Do you really think that I can get to the bottom of the Wolve flight? :)

Do you really think that I can get to the bottom of the Wolve flight? :)

I don't see why not. Last year we did Coven (on the Staffs and Worcs) to the centre of Birmingham easily in one day, including a water stop at the top of the Wolverhampton flight, and a long forced pause just before Old Turn Junction to get a large black sports bag from round the prop. On that occasion we had to use the New Main Line, as there was a stoppage on the Old.

I'd agree about Birmingham moorings: the residential area round by the Sealife Centre and the NIA is much quieter than by the clubs at Gas Street itself. That whole area is well covered by CCTV cameras, so trouble seems to be pretty rare.

I don't see why not. Last year we did Coven (on the Staffs and Worcs) to the centre of Birmingham easily in one day, including a water stop at the top of the Wolverhampton flight, and a long forced pause just before Old Turn Junction to get a large black sports bag from round the prop. On that occasion we had to use the New Main Line, as there was a stoppage on the Old.

I'd agree about Birmingham moorings: the residential area round by the Sealife Centre and the NIA is much quieter than by the clubs at Gas Street itself. That whole area is well covered by CCTV cameras, so trouble seems to be pretty rare.

Excellent. Thanks.

:)

Hey Dave,

Welcome to CW.

Yeh they went pretty quickly!! How long is your trip for?

Sam

Hi Sam,

I managed to snap up one of the other two one-way trips which were offered, Alvechurch to Wrenbury. I've always wanted to do a one-wayer as you can get in more mileage.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Hey Dave,

Welcome to CW.

Yeh they went pretty quickly!! How long is your trip for?

Sam

Thanks Sam.

Its for 7 nights but they were very flexible with respect to the start date (6-day window). I leave on the 15th.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Sam.

Its for 7 nights but they were very flexible with respect to the start date (6-day window). I leave on the 15th.

Cheers

Dave

Ah thats cool!

We are off on Friday evening for the weekend :-) :)