Good ideas from the Crick Boat Show 2007

NB Alnwick

Featured Posts

To kick off this topic we were impressed by the the boat 'Braidbar' - built by Braidbar Boats - No. 100.

We voted it 'best boat of the show' and the most innovative feature that we saw on that boat was the fitting of 10" x 3.5" prism decklights - they give out excellent light without dripping with excessive condensation and are very neat in appearance. We are looking at a way of fitting a couple to 'Alnwick' in the near future. The nice thing is that they would be easy to retrofit and we are thinking of incorporating one or two into the new deck hatch that we are making to replace Alnwick's ugly and life-expired 'dog box'.

A search on the 'net found them on the Midland Chandlers site - see the links below:

Click here to see an image

:cheers:

I liked the carpet tiles *inset* into the solid wood floor on Daddys boat (they actually had this last year as well). Looks good and very practical - no cutting carpet when it needs change, and avoiding towpath grit scratched solid floors

Also liked the fold out TV cupboard unit on one of the boats (can't remember which), which keeps the TV DVD hidden from sight when not in use. I know hiding the TV is not a new idea, but this was very nicely done...

Also liked the radiatorless designs of a couple of boats where they used concealed linear rads

Agree about the Braidbar boat - but probably the best value (IMHO) was the Ambers Polish built boat Paris. Look at what 56k gets you! www.amberboats.pl

Allan

I liked the bathroom layout of the Jonathan Wilson boat, In-Tuition. This had a single bed (kids' bedroom) at the rear, and that allowed a toilet compartment to be placed alongside the bed. There was a single door that could close either the toilet or the bathroom. This meant that, although the boat had a full-width bathroom, it didn't need to divide the boat in two, unless the shower was in use. It also meant that the bathroom used up much less of the boat's length.

To kick off this topic we were impressed by the the boat 'Braidbar' - built by Braidbar Boats - No. 100.

We would have to agree with you there. The engine room brass work, engineering and detail throughout was superb. Very classy boat. We also thought the oak charred flooring was neat too.

The prism light is something we have on our boat too. Very neat should have put another one in but was a bit unsure at the time.

Mark.

I liked the bathroom layout of the Jonathan Wilson boat, In-Tuition. This had a single bed (kids' bedroom) at the rear, and that allowed a toilet compartment to be placed alongside the bed. There was a single door that could close either the toilet or the bathroom. This meant that, although the boat had a full-width bathroom, it didn't need to divide the boat in two, unless the shower was in use. It also meant that the bathroom used up much less of the boat's length.

On first inspection I thought the toilet compartment an excellent idea. Unfortunately, on entering, I found it to be less than the width of my shoulders and I imagine near impossible to use.

Agree about the Braidbar boat - but probably the best value (IMHO) was the Ambers Polish built boat Paris. Look at what 56k gets you! www.amberboats.pl

I'm aware of the other thread about amber boats but I do like the detail they give you in their website. I've not seen any other builders website give you so much detail - even down to the type and size of the propeller, type of batteries fitted etc.

Seems very good value - if they arrive :cheers:

I'm aware of the other thread about amber boats but I do like the detail they give you in their website. I've not seen any other builders website give you so much detail - even down to the type and size of the propeller, type of batteries fitted etc.

Seems very good value - if they arrive :cheers:

:captain:

The best think at Crick?

Punters with loads of money!

Thats what it's all about! But I didn't need to tell you did I? ;)

;)

The best think at Crick?

Punters with loads of money!

Thats what it's all about! But I didn't need to tell you did I?

Must have missed that - I saw a couple of canoes but no punts? :cheers:

BTW Gary don't know if you've read much here over last few days - but there were a few of us here looking for ya at Crick... Where were you hiding? Must have been somewhere near those punts I guess? LOL

Was going to ask how things got on with the incinerator toilet

Allan

We have a deck light on Kingfsher built in 1989 so they are not new. However it gives a nice amount of light and is very neat and tidy and waterproof. Helps me to tell if its light without having to get up !

Petro

Seems very good value - if they arrive :unsure:

Hi Stuart

I wrote the spec for Amber, I am now at Narrowcraft. See www.narrowcraft.co.uk for a range of boats and Narrowcraft will build any design of Boat in Poland. Unlike Aqualine or Amber that will only build their standard variants.

All the Best

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Not something I liked, but a suggestion. I have emailed REM, but thought it would be worth seeing what others thought, in case we can come up with a better idea.

The major problem, on the Friday particularly, seemed to be traffic flow. I realise this is always going to be a problem at such an event, but I see in the waterways press that REM is talking about publicising the "alternative" route (i.e. from the east, not from the M1 side, of Crick) next year. That is just stupid. It involves a right turn across the flow of traffic and lots of narrow roads/lanes. Perhaps advising traders to use that route on show days might be a good thing, if there is an alternative entrance: see below.

The real bottle neck was caused by the inefficient traffic control system (Scouts? - I'm not saying they didn't try, just that they don't move things at a fast enough rate) and the single entrance/exit. Their aim is surely to get people off the road as fast as possible, and then get them parked as efficiently as possible. One of the major bottlenecks this year was on the laid road inside the gate where cars stopped to tell the stewards they were traders or disabled. Every stop in the field held up traffic on the road.

ISTM that it would make sense if REM were to add an extra exit further east along the road. Then one gate could accept traffic from the east end, traders and disabled parking, and be the sole exit, while the other gate would be for the general public. Of course the separate entrance would be clearly signed, and shown on the site map. I realise another temporary road would have to be laid (at a cost) but I think the stewards could be deployed to cope with the 2 entrances. It would also extend actual visiting hours and avoid putting people off coming because of the jams.