Water Pump Issues.

Greylady2

Featured Posts

i dont know too much on stuff yet but my mind is telling me a 5 litre pressure vessel is working hard on a 55 litre calorifier.

Maybe my water pump is too small for a hearly 60ft boat i dont know.

Nope, they're both fine. Please stop worrying.

If there is no accumulator - and a parmax 2.9 does not require one - which is probable and the expansion vessel, is set a bit above the pump cut-off pressure as you have done then as the hot water cools it will contract and from time to time the pump will briefly run to re pressurise the system. Unless you think there is a problem I don't see the need to strip down the pump or clean out the filters etc.

All I can suggest is that if you don't like the little pump run at night as already suggested either turn the pump off or get an accumulator.

I think people are causing you to worry about a problem you do not have.

Only slight disagreement :) Thought/ thinks she has/had a problem. Still don't know how long it has been going on for, but the guess is since the chilly weather.

If there is no accumulator - and a parmax 2.9 does not require one - which is probable and the expansion vessel, is set a bit above the pump cut-off pressure as you have done then as the hot water cools it will contract and from time to time the pump will briefly run to re pressurise the system. Unless you think there is a problem I don't see the need to strip down the pump or clean out the filters etc.

All I can suggest is that if you don't like the little pump run at night as already suggested either turn the pump off or get an accumulator.

I think people are causing you to worry about a problem you do not have.

Sorry cheebacka i totally missed your post and maybe a few others.

Its only a burping noise at night and at least i know i have no leaks,

I really appreciate your help too.

Greylady,

The burpppps are a design feature is the way to look at it, they, the burrpps tells you all is well as the water cools as it does every night of the year. If you had a leak you would get burrppps through out the day in those times when the taps are not being used.

If the burrrpps wake you, turn the pump off when you go to bed, some would say it was not a bad idea to turn it off over night anyway.

Now glass of wine and you and the dog curl up and have a good night's sleep

Night night sleep well and dream of angels :)

Greylady,

The burpppps are a design feature is the way to look at it, they, the burrpps tells you all is well as the water cools as it does every night of the year. If you had a leak you would get burrppps through out the day in those times when the taps are not being used.

If the burrrpps wake you, turn the pump off when you go to bed, some would say it was not a bad idea to turn it off over night anyway.

Now glass of wine and you and the dog curl up and have a good night's sleepn n

Night night sleep well and dream of angels :)

Hehe yer more in life than a midnight burp after all i would have that if i had a partner.

At least a dog keeps me warm with company, stuff the bloody water pump burping.

At least i know theirs no leaks and ive learnt a lot.

Cheers. Clash

Edited by Greylady2

Hehe yer more in life than a midnight burp after all i would have that if i had a partner.

Cheers. Clash

Dogs are better than human partners, they are loyal, love you for you and just ask for love, food, walkies and a mistress in return. :)

• Greenie 1

Dogs are better than human partners, they are loyal, love you for you and just ask for love, food, walkies and a mistress in return. :)

Geo really ?

I can not believe you just said what i say to people.

'Dogs make better people' 'sometimes'

Omg how wierd, yer their are some lovely people out their but i guess sometimes life can re-install different stuff.

Geo thanks yur a good egg. X

Edited by Greylady2

Geo really ?

I can not believe you just said what i say to people.

'Dogs make better people' 'sometimes'

Omg how wierd, yer their are some lovely people out their but i guess sometimes life can re-install different stuff.

Geo thanks yur a good egg. X

:) Thank you, that was nice

Cheers. Clash

One last question. Do you know if your pump pressure switch is working at the correct pressure? It might be too low and cut-out too soon. That would explain why you get little water from the tap with the pump switched off.

Re intermittent operation in my own boat - for an undisturbed night's sleep, because I (but usually my wife) often forget to switch the pump off when we go to bed. So I added an extra pump switch by the bed.

In my case the pump ran because there was a hidden water leak under the bed that just happened to run under the plastic floor covering that went unnoticed for years it seems prior to purchase (and missed by the surveyor) until the plywood floor rotted and collapsed under foot one day when the rot eventually extended to the gangway. When through the hole we could see the bilge was full of water (the bilge pump had no effect being in the the engine compartment separated by the bulkhead

Reporting the intermittent pump running to the boatyard who sold me the boat - "they do that sometimes - make sure you turn the taps off and look for leaks" - well we did and couldn't see any - nobody said anything about cutting holes in the floor boards to see if the bilge was dry.

Even for a temporary repair I had to dismantle half the interior of the boat to replace the rotten floor an joists - and all the rust proofing and painting.

That prompted a major refit - and now the pump does not run at all unless we use water - with an absolutely dry bilge - especially the engine.compartment. The bedside switch is not necessary now, but out of habit we still switch the pump off at night.

One last question. Do you know if your pump pressure switch is working at the correct pressure? It might be too low and cut-out too soon. That would explain why you get little water from the tap with the pump switched off.

Re intermittent operation in my own boat - for an undisturbed night's sleep, because I (but usually my wife) often forget to switch the pump off when we go to bed. So I added an extra pump switch by the bed.

In my case the pump ran because there was a hidden water leak under the bed that just happened to run under the plastic floor covering that went unnoticed for years it seems prior to purchase (and missed by the surveyor) until the plywood floor rotted and collapsed under foot one day when the rot eventually extended to the gangway. When through the hole we could see the bilge was full of water (the bilge pump had no effect being in the the engine compartment separated by the bulkhead

Reporting the intermittent pump running to the boatyard who sold me the boat - "they do that sometimes - make sure you turn the taps off and look for leaks" - well we did and couldn't see any - nobody said anything about cutting holes in the floor boards to see if the bilge was dry.

Even for a temporary repair I had to dismantle half the interior of the boat to replace the rotten floor an joists - and all the rust proofing and painting.

That prompted a major refit - and now the pump does not run at all unless we use water - with an absolutely dry bilge - especially the engine.compartment. The bedside switch is not necessary now, but out of habit we still switch the pump off at night.

Horace i don't know where my pressure switch is or what it looks like, but your story sounds like the worst rated 18 movie you could possibly watch about a water leak.

Wow.

I have a few inspection holes in the floor already and i checked them recently.

I suppose i could buy a really big switch and mount it somewhere easy.

I always turn off the water pump if i am leaving the boat for a day just in case (not very often these days)

??

Where would my pressure switch be then and what does it look like because the bloody water pump is still kicking in as i type this.

Thanks for your post.

Edited by Greylady2

No it wouldn't. Not at all. The two are completely unrelated. OP has no flow from the taps with the pump switched off because she has no accumulator. She has no accumulator because her Parmax pump doesn't require one.

Can we please stop creating non-existent problems?

The reason little water comes out of the tap when the pump is off (Horace's post) is because Greylady does not have an accumulator. This is OK. The pressure switch is that blue thing on the end of the pump. But is sounds as if it's working fine and she should probably leave it alone.

Horace i don't know where my pressure switch is or what it looks like, but your story sounds like the worst rated 18 movie you could possibly watch about a water leak.

Wow.

I have a few inspection holes in the floor already and i checked them recently.

I suppose i could buy a really big switch and mount it somewhere easy.

I always turn off the water pump if i am leaving the boat for a day just in case (not very often these days)

??

Where would my pressure switch be then and what does it look like because the bloody water pump is still kicking in as i type this.

Thanks for your post.

Your pressure switch is built into your pump.

You originally posted that you had an occasional burp at night but you just said 'it's still kicking in as I write this'. So, how frequently does it run? I presume that each run is for less than a second?

Your pressure switch is built into your pump.

You originally posted that you had an occasional burp at night but you just said 'it's still kicking in as I write this'. So, how frequently does it run? I presume that each run is for less than a second?

Thanks

Yes it kicks in about every half hour for 1 second and its still doing it.

I am going to check the bilge's again but i am confident they will be dry.

I dont know what to do after that other than fit a switch like Horace.

If it's still doing it, one more question - how hot is the water in the calorifier? If it's still hot then it's still cooling down and contracting so that's still the most likely scenario (as in, there's nothing wrong with the system).

There are only two other possibilities. The first, that you have a small leak, you have already discounted. The other one is that the water is slowly passing back through the pump itself. If that's the case then it is nothing to worry about as it's doing no harm.

If it's still doing it, one more question - how hot is the water in the calorifier? If it's still hot then it's still cooling down and contracting so that's still the most likely scenario (as in, there's nothing wrong with the system).

There are only two other possibilities. The first, that you have a small leak, you have already discounted. The other one is that the water is slowly passing back through the pump itself. If that's the case then it is nothing to worry about as it's doing no harm.

The hot water will be very cold because i last turned on the eberspacher at 10pm last night and ive just timed the burping at around 30 minute intervals.

To be honest i think i will do as mentioned recheck for leaks and fit the biggest 12v switch i can find and fit it somewhere on the way to bed.

Greylady, do you know the model number of your Jabsco water pump. If not can you reach in with your phone and take a photo of its label. Then we can find out the current it takes.

It will be something like 31395-0292

Edited by mross