Fuel guard fitting

Emma b

Featured Posts

Hi All

Am about to refit new fuel lines and diesel fuel filter housing and a fuel guard filter kit.

I want to incorporate the 12 Volt pump which allows the fuel to be cleaned/recirculated.

Question is does anyone have any images of the fuel guard system fitted to their boat to give me a few ideas of a suitable location etc?

Trad boat with fuel tank unions top right hand side of tank and primary fuel filters mounted on left hand swim looking at the stern.

Hope this makes sense

Simon

To be the most effective the Fuel Guard needs its fuel pick up pipe as close to the bottom of the tank as possible. To minimise the danger of letting air into the main fuel system or "robbing" it of fuel I would not want the Fuel Guard to use the same pick up pipe as the engine. I can see no reason why the return form the fuel Guard can not be Td into the main engine return line.

So in view of the above I do not see a problem A new pick up for the fuel guard. Find a method of securing the pipes and parts to the boat's structure without puncturing the hull/tank. I would be looking to see if brackets could be welded to possibly the tank front to take length of wood that everything could be screwed to.

If you do not pick up from the bottom of the tank there will be a largely stagnant area of fuel and water. It is here that bug tends to starts breeding.

Thanks Tony

I'll work on it and let you know.

Re the pick up the original one fitted is about an inch from the tank bottom.

The way I understand it works is the 'cleaning' mode is used with the engine not running.

There are valves and an electric pump supplied to isolate the engine when vleaning via the electric pump

Simon

Edited by Emma b

You are still likely to have best part of an inch of still liquid below the pick up. If I spent a lot of cash on a fuel cleaning system i woudl want to get as much of stuff at the bottom of the tank out as possible.

I suspect you may do better to mount it on a portable board and do the cleaning via the fuel filler with the pickup pipe being used like a vacuum cleaner all over the bottom of the tank.

I have considered that Tony. We completely drained and cleaned the tank out this summer.

It took some doing and was a breakdown waiting to happen I can assure you.

Going along the preventive route and as part of that have fitted a drain to the tank. There are images in a recent posting of mine.

We now fill the main and front (new stainless steel which feeds the bubble stove) via a rig set up with a fuel filter and water trap filter bowel out of new jerry cans to try to prevent contamination.

So your idea may be simplier and as useful

I'll have a think

Many thanks

Simon

• 4 years later...

An old post, but this is the third with exactly the same fault, fourth with mine now, only mine was not replaced, after following instructions and tightening and could not undo, ad to use stiltsons to unfasten and resulting damage by stiltsons to top was blamed on me even though following instructions.