Air in freshwater system

blackrose

Featured Posts

Well I couldn't resist so I've taken the pump apart. I'm attaching 2 pictures. The first shows the leaking panel with the 2 small screws which I've mashed trying to get it off, and the second picture shows the reverse of the panel inside the upper housing. It's just injection moulded (sort of top right part of the housing in that picture), so there's no way the panel cover is coming off from the inside.

It could be that the large o-ring separating the centre of the check valve/upper housing from the outside is leaking allowing water into the centre and then out through whatever's behind the panel is (assuming water isn't supposed to be there - I've no idea?) So I will reseal the o-ring with silicone grease and put it back together.

But it looks like a poor design to me.

post-1046-0-89915900-1483874141_thumb.jpg

post-1046-0-50201800-1483874209_thumb.jpg

Edited by blackrose

Not sure what it is exactly but I was trying to seal it from the outside and it came out. So now I can reseal it properly. I'm just going to use some Stixall and then buy a new pump.

If the O ring is in a recess a couple or a few turns of cotton laid in the recess and then lay the O ring on top will give it extra sealing power.

The o-ring was tiny and in a deep recess in the cylinder wall (in the part that came out). I didn't think the o-ring would come off without breaking so I've just smeared over it including the sides of the cylinder and the flange with Stixall and left it to cure. Hopefully it will seal it until I can get a new pump.

Edit: Looks like Stixall has sealed it - and the taps are no longer farting so that was definitely the problem.

Thanks everyone. cheers.gif

Edited by blackrose