Extending battery cables.

valrene9600

Featured Posts

On diagram 1 in http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.hhhtml

Link not working. It's the diagram where +/- enter bank at opposite ends of bat. bank.

My + cable only reached to the second battery. I wish to extend it so + and - are at opposite ends of the battery bank.

Can i, using suitable thickness cable with crimped terminals bolt them together. This seems an easy way as this cable disappears via bulkhead inside boat and I think possibly to inverter so I'm thinking my way might save some hassle. Any comments please.

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html

Yes you can, but it's poor practice. It introduces another connection just where you don't want one.

Tony

Is it bad enough practice that it should be avoided or can I get away with it.

Also I guess using a, bus bar?, Would be same as bolting just neater.

I will confess to joining a battery cable with lugs and bolts but only as a temporary measure. Not ideal. I slid some flexible waste pipe over the join to stop any possible shorts. A fixed busbar is better, a new cable is ideal.

When I was working in used to put in every specification I wrote that it was forbidden to join cables.

My logic was not only is it removing a source of volt drop a d unreliability, but in the future those who knew it was there may have moved on, making fault finding more difficult.

When I was working in used to put in every specification I wrote that it was forbidden to join cables.

My logic was not only is it removing a source of volt drop a d unreliability, but in the future those who knew it was there may have moved on, making fault finding more difficult.

Many years since I worked in the leccy job, but cable jointing was frowned upon, unless unavoidable.