Bypassing calorifier

Featured Posts

Hi All

i need to replace my calorifier tank, so for the present time is it Ok to bypass the tank by just connecting the fresh water inlet and outlet hoses to each other and engine water inlet and outlet hoses to each other. also does it matter what size tank I replace it with,( can I go smaller) does it have any effect on the engine cooling?

Bypassing the calorifier as you suggest should be ok. The calorifier plays no part in the engine cooling once it's up to temperarture so you can therefore use a smaller one. I assume you have a skin tank so the engine cooling will be taken care of by this.

Edited by Flyboy

..and indeed you would be putting the bypass circuit (through which the water flows until the thermostat warms up and opens) back into its original design mode.

The manual for my engine (Mitsubishi) shows a very short pipe making up the bypass. The guy who installed it did not want to add radiators to this circuit, as it would then take too long for the engine to heat up to its normal operating temperature ...

Hope you can do this without creating air locks ...