Narrowboat Syncopation

aread2

Featured Posts

Tidy.

The inside of the baseplate has been cleaned and blacked, ready for ballasting. The lining has been given a coat of varnish to protect it. We're not expecting much to happen before January now as the boatyard will be doing annual maintenance on the fleet of shared ownership boats that are based here.

I have been trying desperately not to respond to this topic as I realise that this is your dream. Unfortunately I cannot hold back any longer. You must be having concerns.

1. Completion date was supposed to be 31st December, are the delays because of the builder or at your request? – ensure that these are fully documented in writing.

2. The process of the build just seems a little ‘butt about face’ do you have your own independent marine surveyor checking at each milestone?

3. Do you have insurance on the boat that covers the build stage?

I certainly would not take kindly to a builder delaying me to complete their own ‘projects’.

This boat is being constructed outside, winter is going to have some major effects on the internals if it is not properly treated and looked after, maybe even slightly heated you have got to ensure that the builder is going to preserve YOUR investment as it appears to me that you are funding this build and subsequently the builder and he has little to lose, where as you have it all to lose!

Having fitted a couple of boats myself and had one built for me I would be seriously looking into the lack of progress on this build when compared to other boats on blogs that commenced build at the same time as yours.

I have been trying desperately not to respond to this topic as I realise that this is your dream. Unfortunately I cannot hold back any longer. You must be having concerns.

1. Completion date was supposed to be 31st December, are the delays because of the builder or at your request? – ensure that these are fully documented in writing.

2. The process of the build just seems a little ‘butt about face’ do you have your own independent marine surveyor checking at each milestone?

3. Do you have insurance on the boat that covers the build stage?

I certainly would not take kindly to a builder delaying me to complete their own ‘projects’.

This boat is being constructed outside, winter is going to have some major effects on the internals if it is not properly treated and looked after, maybe even slightly heated you have got to ensure that the builder is going to preserve YOUR investment as it appears to me that you are funding this build and subsequently the builder and he has little to lose, where as you have it all to lose!

Having fitted a couple of boats myself and had one built for me I would be seriously looking into the lack of progress on this build when compared to other boats on blogs that commenced build at the same time as yours.

Here we go again

We were in the same situation this time last year.

There may be a new name over the door but!!!!!!!!

Regards

Andy

• 1 month later...

I have just purchased this months Waterways world magazine and on page 161 Millwharf Boat Company has a restored Fellows Morton and Clayton motor boat for sale.

But it seems to me that your fit out has stalled over the last few months and I am wondering if this was put in front of your boat.

Regards

Andy

Not at all. Columbia's restoration was completed around the middle of last year. The buyer has commissioned Mill Wharf to do a full cabin conversion of the hold, staring in the spring. I wouldn't say we've stalled either. The shell was delivered two months late and so the fit-out started late.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Syncopation has been ballasted, floors have been fixed and the bulkheads are fitted. The water pump has been fixed in place, as has the shower pump. All the holes have been drilled for the skin fittings and the first items of brasswork have been fitted.

Rear cabin with calorifier fitted.

P2220192.jpg

Water pump fixed.

P2220190.jpg

View of the galley looking aft.

P2220199.jpg

First item of brasswork.

P2220202.jpg

Carcases Going In

Here we see the kitchen carcases in place:

P3010266.jpg

The bunks have been installed in the bunk room and the water system has been pressure tested. All skin fittings are now in place.

The bunk room carcases have been completed.

Bunk bed ladder:

P3060296-1.jpg

Wardrobe:

P3060297-1.jpg

Forward end of the dinette:

P3060298-1.jpg

Edited to rotate my sideways pictures.

Edited by aread2

• 1 month later...

Cross Bed:

P4110572.jpg

Two sections at the bottom of the bed (left of this picture) extend to the cabin side to make the bed full length.

Saloon Carcases:

The stove base and the carcase for the tall saloon cupboard have been installed.

P4110579.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Shower Plumbed in:

P4260614.jpg

The waterproof panels have been fitted and the plumbing is complete. All the doors and drawer fronts and flat doors have been made and the internal door frames have been fitted ready to accept them.

Toilet

I've gone for the vacuum cassette system.

P5030622.jpg

The cratch has been made and the doors are ready to install. The electrical system components are ready to install and the interior woodwork is progressing nicely.

P5030620.jpg

Also Syncopation appeared on the Maisibert blog:

StoketoNorthampton027.jpg

She's the one furthest from the camera.

Edited to fix spelling.

Edited by aread2

Door Linings fitted

P5100652.jpg

P5100649.jpg

All the exterior doors have been lined and the front doors glazed. All the flat cabinet doors and drawer fronts have been fitted. The heating system is fully plumbed in except for the bunk room radiator.

P5100654.jpg

Door and drawer handles have been ordered. Also the porthole liners have arrived:

P5100651.jpg

Systems Being Commissioned

Batteries have been boxed.

P5170672-1.jpg

Heating system has been filled and tested. The engine has been started for the first time, six months after delivery.

P5170676-2.jpg

P5170677-1.jpg

The side hatch glazing has been fitted.

P5170681-2.jpg

P5170682-2.jpg

In Dock for Painting

Syncopation has been moved into the dock for finishing.

Undercoated:

P5240699.jpg

P5240706.jpg

Internally, things are moving along as well. The curved doors have been made and fitted in the kitchen units:

P5240696.jpg

The electrical cupboard has been made and all the controls fitted:

P5240704.jpg

The Cratch has been fitted temporarily so that it can be measured for the cratch cover.

P5310713.jpg

Inside, the hearth has been finished:

P5310711.jpg

The steerer's heating ducts have been fitted:

P5310718.jpg

The bathroom floor tiles are cut ready for fitting:

P5310716.jpg

and of course the coach painting continues:

P5310723.jpg

The sign has been written. It's very close to my concept drawing - but of course better! I'm very pleased with the two panels.

P6070728.jpg

P6070734.jpg

Inside, the lights work.

P6070730.jpg

I have to find some LED light bulbs now. More woodwork detail has been completed

P6070731.jpg

and the bowthruster has been fitted

P6070740.jpg

We've now got mushroom vents on the roof.

P6150799.jpg

We're waiting for the flooring to arrive. The windows were measured on Monday and the venetian blinds have been ordered. We've bought a shoe cupboard from IKEA. The anodes have been fitted to the outside of the hull.

P6150801.jpg

The hull has been re-blacked and the propellor fitted.

P6150796.jpg

The floor in the engine room has been fitted:

P6150791.jpg

Edited to add the pictures.

Edited by aread2