Sparking alternator

AjW

Featured Posts

I've a ca560ir alternator on a Lister sr3. It's been fine since we bought the boat ten years ago.

This morning it started sparking and smoking whilst I had to the engine running. Nothing out of the ordinary though I had the vacuum going and the plastic twin tub was going (1kw inverter). I've done this before though.i can get a straight replacement, but I'm open to suggestions for other models.

Also.....I haven't got a warning light fitted (took it out about 6 years ago), just a voltmeter as part of the solar installation. The alternator is a bit pap at charging.

Here's a pic of the back!

A good bit of stinky smoke is always good to get the heart racing in the morning!

post-2954-0-64341900-1475662929_thumb.jpg

Edited by AjW

Where is sparking from? Can you see the sparks through the slots or is the external connectors tha are sparking. If the sparks are inside then it could be the brushes have worn down to the metal springs and causing the sparks. This will wear the commutator very very quickly and then your alterenator will need a rebuild or a new alternator may be required.

1. No commutator, alternators use slip rings that only carry about 4 amps but they will spark when they or the brushes wear away and both do wear.

2. I doubt a sparking brush/slip ring would make a burning smell so suspect the may be a dry/melted joint on the main diodes that is moving with vibration.

It looks like a version of the A127 to me so is easy enough to strip and get spares for but exchange units are readily available so I think a new one is the easiest way forward.

Get the alternator repaired or replaced while the days are still light! You will need every charge amp that you can get in the winter. Most alternators NEED the "ign" light for them to start to generate. Make certain that the alternator circuit is as the manufacturer intended, including clean contacts everywhere,